• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me MEP-803a Needs replacement radiator

Tacuoi

Hi guys I have been lerking the forum for awhile. I recently won a genset off of Govplant. I was going through the generator for missing or loose item so I can start filling fluids and putting batteries in but found that I have a broken radiator drain. Looks like they broke it while they were draining all the fluids. Where can I source a new radiator?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a challenge to get them and if you do find one its likely to abuse your wallet.

I recommend pulling it and visiting a local radiator repair shop. Does the damage look too severe to repair?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would definitely see if it can be repaired first. I have a radiator out of an 802 (believe its the same no matter if its an 802, or 803... not checking the TMs at the moment) but I know it had a small area with a little green oxidation buildup, so it might have a pinhole leak. In looking up vendor numbers, I saw a price of $515 for the radiator itself... lord knows how old the price is, and if thats even a price given to an end user (probably not).

Got any decent repair shops in your area who can handle such a service?

USAMilRet

I would definitely see if it can be repaired first. I have a radiator out of an 802 (believe its the same no matter if its an 802, or 803... not checking the TMs at the moment) but I know it had a small area with a little green oxidation buildup, so it might have a pinhole leak. In looking up vendor numbers, I saw a price of $515 for the radiator itself... lord knows how old the price is, and if thats even a price given to an end user (probably not).

Got any decent repair shops in your area who can handle such a service?
What you are saying then is a non functional MEP803A is worth more in parts than to get it ready to go?

I guess between the radiator and the side doors, we are looking at $1k???

I may just go into the 803a parts business and make the money there instead of rebuild and resell.

Tacuoi

Thank you guys for the idea of getting it repaired. I didnt think that there were shops like that anymore, but have called around and one shop said they can solder a new valve on. Are these cooling system pressurized?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you are saying then is a non functional MEP803A is worth more in parts than to get it ready to go?

I guess between the radiator and the side doors, we are looking at $1k???

I may just go into the 803a parts business and make the money there instead of rebuild and resell.
It depends on the machine, and how good the price was. Mucho money has been made parting out units... how do you think we fix them? Not all parts are available new :)

My personal 802 parts machine was purchased as a runner, but became a parts unit. Didn't have much choice in my case, but many folks back when machines were MUCH more reasonable, made hefty sums on parts. Heck, the LPW4 mill in an 803 can draw more than $4k new.

Tacuoi

Guyfang - Yes sir I have downloaded them. I have read part and peices of the operating manual. There is a lot of useful information on here and I will search before I post.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Knowing what info is in each of the manuals will aid you greatly in the future for quick troubleshooting, or identification of parts required. They can be overwhelming for a new owner, but almost everything​ you need to know, is contained in their pages.

csheath

Thank you guys for the idea of getting it repaired. I didnt think that there were shops like that anymore, but have called around and one shop said they can solder a new valve on. Are these cooling system pressurized?
They use a 7 psi cap.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, as long as it pertains to the topic. Why is there air? Is the sun hot, qualify as stupid. In the case of this thread, there have been no stupid questions. You know what I mean. Its always better to ask, and know, then to not ask, and not know.

m32825

I took mine to the radiator shop and they unsoldered one whole end to clean it out, then put it back on again, cleaned and painted the outside, then pressure tested it to 20psi. Cost was about $130 and was done in one day.

Guyfang

Staff member
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllll. :)

Let he who is without guilt, cast the first stone. I can remember the first time someone used this sage old saying on me. SFC Lonnie Holland was mad as all get out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks