• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Could someone explain tow bar differences?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear a lot about the various tow bars, and see them for sale. I hear mentions that some are easier to use, some are more useful than others, some easier to store/collapse, etc. Could someone outline the differences, pro's and con's?

Thanks!

319cssb

Not quite sure what kind of answer you are looking for.
Are you asking about the differences between the medium tow bar vs. Ibis? or Ibis vs. Oshcosh 88k tow bar? There are several different models and unless you tell us what models you are referring to, there aren't really any good answers.

it's like asking: 'I keep hearing people like flying. What airplane do you think flies better?'

dmetalmiki

I quite feel like answering.."Yes"!.

ANY tow bar ( Including Associated shackles and chains etc) is a GOOD tow-bar if used correctly and within SAFE loading capability.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, all of those. What are the several models? Which ones fit? Are some of those names actually the same tow bar being called different things?

At least as they apply to LMTV/FMTV. I just can't seem to find a concise explanation of them. For example, if someone could say:
There are 3 main tow bars that an FMTV owner would be interested in: The medium, the IBIS, and the heavy duty. The small tow bar is only for HMMWVs.
Medium - this is the one commonly "issued" with the LMTV, it is the lightest total weight of the 3, but is difficult to work with be you mostly have to move it around assembled.
IBIS - IBIS stands for Ixxxx Bxxxx Ixxxx Sxxxx, and is a modular medium tow bar with components to fit FMTVs and other vehicles too. It's nice because it's longer than the medium, but has a lot of parts.
Large - The large tow bar will also tow HEMMTs, and weighs 2x the medium. The nice thing is it comes apart easier, so it's easier to assemble on a vehicle by yourself. They tend to cost less too.

Something like that. I obviously made all that up, but if you have a lot of experience with tow bars, I assume that's straightforward to lay out.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Medium tow bars are the most common and adjustable with legs that slide thru the bar tubes. Rated at 44,000lbs. This bar has 3/4" feet. 1" feet and the rare Y feet which have both size pin holes made in a Y configuration.

Medium heavy bar is a non adjustable bar. About 7 ft long. Has Y feet for both 3/4" and 1in feet. And a 1.5" pin feet setup for big trucks. It's working load limit is 64,000lbs

The big heavy bar is rated at 88,000lbs. Has 1 in or 1.5in feet. Weighs about 400lbs. So heavy it has handles

MTVR/LVS bars are rated around 60,000lbs. They have individual feet for all truck pin sizes. These are starting the show up. Castle bravo has one in the classifieds for sale. They are also not very heavy.

Ibes tech bars are rated for 40k. They work well for HMMWVs and small trucks. I wont use them on anything bigger than a deuce. They need and tweak easily. They are light and have a shoulder strap. They also have individual feet for 3/4 or 1in pins.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is adjustability an advantage for towing, or does that just make it fold up more compactly for storage?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is adjustability an advantage for towing, or does that just make it fold up more compactly for storage?
Towing matters on adjustable. I prefer the longer bars for wider turns while towing. The short ones trucks can try to push a little more up under the rear of the towing truck

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The heavy and medium/heavy weigh a considerable amount so take that into consideration.

The medium is manageable weight wise. It can also be assembled in parts if by your self.

The one I like the most is the square tube mtvr/lvs. You can assemble it one piece at a time puzzle style so you are not hefting all the weight at one time. It is like a big lego set. It is rated to handle 88K, I think most anything weight wise the average hobbyist would encounter. Common feet of 3/4,1,1-1/2

Last edited:

spankybear

Not quite sure what kind of answer you are looking for.
Are you asking about the differences between the medium tow bar vs. Ibis? or Ibis vs. Oshcosh 88k tow bar? There are several different models and unless you tell us what models you are referrino g to, there aren't really any good answers.

it's like asking: 'I keep hearing people like flying. What airplane do you think flies better?'
well the last statement awnser is easy.... Boeing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks