• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803a Marked 'JP Fuel Only"?

shazam

Hi, folks! First post, but I've been lurking for awhile and have learned a lot already. Thanks!

My new-to-me MEP803a has 'JP Fuel Only' stenciled above the fuel filler port. I assume that to mean jet fuel only. Any ideas what changes would have been made to the unit to eliminate fueling with 'normal' diesel? Interesting!

Thanks!
Jim

devilphrog

No changes required. The military uses JP fuel for everything (simplifies the supply chain/logistics). It's stenciled to prevent somebody from dumping gasoline into it. Jet fuel is kerosene based, so is a bit "drier" than regular diesel. Diesel fuel is just fine in it, and will actually provide better lubricity to the injectors/pumps, and is easier on fuel lines and seals. If you look at the instruction placard underneath the control panel cover you'll see the different fuels allowed, such as DF-2 (#2 diesel fuel).

shazam

....and I managed to show my total ignorance in my first post :smile: Thanks, devilphrog. Note to self....read more, before asking questions.

Ancillary question.... My intention actually is to run sump-dump Jet-A in the unit as much as possible, as I have a source. My long-term storage will be in a 55 gallon drum located in indoor cold storage, which will only be used in a long-term outage. Recommendations for additives that help the lubricity issues and/or help with the moisture?

I also read the post on 'filtering' the incoming air to the drum with a drying agent, and will be implementing something of that nature also.....and a water separator on the out-flow side.

This forum is an amazing resource for someone who only learned the word lubricity a couple weeks ago! Thanks!

Jim

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No sweat... people read the word 'jet' and suddenly think $$ fuel costs.

In my stored fuel, I use a combination of things.

Stabilizer - https://www.amazon.com/PRI-D-Fuel-Stabilizer-Diesel-32oz/dp/B007ETLKG8
Algaecide/Biocide - https://powerservice.com/psp_product/bio-kleen-diesel-fuel-biocide/
Antigel - https://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-fuel-supplement-cetane-boost/

Feel like there is one other thing I am forgetting... but thats a good baseline. Then as I put into the machine, you can add some Optilube for lubricity (http://opti-lube.com/diesel-fuel-improver/xpd-diesel-fuel-additives.html).

You must make sure you have some Diesel 911 on the shelf, for the cold months. Its a Power Service product, and is the ace in your pocket in the wintertime if you are experiencing gel-up.

devilphrog

If you have access to sumped fuel, you probably have access to Biobor (you need less than an oz for a 55 gallon drum), and you can also run Lubribor to add lubricity.

shazam

Checked with the DOM for the jets today. He says SOP is to add Biobor algicide to each load of Jet-A they get in, so I"m covered there. On the sumped fuel they re-use in the Jet-A truck diesel fuel tank, they add Schaeffer's Neutra.

Took a pic of the Neutra label, which says it stabilizes fuel during extended storage, dissolves fuel deposits, and neutralizes the harmful effects of sulphur in fuel. It doesn't say anything about lubricity.

They've been running the fuel truck on this combo for years, so either they're lucky or it works for them.

The label of Biobor says it's a biocide AND lubricity additive. Label on Lubribor says lubricity agent. Too confusing! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks