• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introducing the Soldier B HubHelper!!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just petitioned my wife to get me on for my birthday. I got bad seals again and my buddies don't want to help anymore. Great idea!
It is usually a one day job so you bring it over to the barn. Get Gimpy up and it will go quicker. We have a forklift for big pieces and a nice smooth floor. :)

BenRoberts

Certified insane
It is usually a one day job so you bring it over to the barn. Get Gimpy up and it will go quicker. We have a forklift for big pieces and a nice smooth floor. :)
I'll have to take you up on that. The other times I've done them me and another guy look like 2 idiots with a floor jack rolling the drums off in my driveway.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first 3 HubHelpers have sold and I currently only have 1 left from this first production run. It looks like I won't have any more available until April.

Ajax MD

I gots mines! It arrived yesterday, it's quality work. Looking forward to mounting it on my floor jack.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gots mines! It arrived yesterday, it's quality work. Looking forward to mounting it on my floor jack.
Good to hear!

Just some helpful tips on using this tool:

The foot goes under the brake drum and you'll find 4 of the 10 holes with a heavy chamfer for engaging with the lug nuts to hold it together (you won't need all 10). On a rear axle you'll want to have the axle shaft bolts removed before putting the tool on so that the drum is free to rotate & line up with the holes. Lastly, since the floor jack will rarely be in perfect alignment with the axle tube the tool seems to work best when left just loose enough that it can still be rotated by hand when it's empty (doesn't need to be bolted down tight to the jack). This leaves enough wiggle room to manipulate the tool and hub from its top ring as the hub slides onto or off of the spindle.

jasonjc

Not sure of the size of that but USPS has a 23-11/16"x11-3/4"x3" flat rate box for $20.00. Not sure if that would fit or not.

Just another thought if you could make it fit both the 2-1/2 ton and 5 ton.

Just some thought. It looks like a big help.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure of the size of that but USPS has a 23-11/16"x11-3/4"x3" flat rate box for $20.00. Not sure if that would fit or not.
I would love to get it to fit into a flat rate box. Currently I would have to cut it into pieces for that to work which could be done. Right now it's 22 3/4" tall and 8 5/8" wide. A modular one would be cool where one could change out the rings to fit 2.5 or 5 ton if there is no room to have both sets of lug hole patterns...

edit: I overlapped the yellow 5T over the red 2.5T version and you would not be able to have one ring do both sizes. You would need a quick-change ring gear so to speak...

2.5T vs 5T.jpg

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you could, just basically add half holes to the inside of your 5 ton tool. You might have to add a little meat around the outside of the 3 and 9 o’clock holes due to they would be one big slot, but not likely, beings you could probably cut the tool in half and use the top or bottom independently with a jack or hoist.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
My favorite helper, I never had anyone to help,
I never had "soldier "B".........................

Many ways to do this but this be the cheapest best.
Just tap on the non vise grip held side
Viola!
It is yours now.

soldier B2.jpgsoldier B3.jpg

Last edited:

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you could, just basically add half holes to the inside of your 5 ton tool. You might have to add a little meat around the outside of the 3 and 9 o’clock holes due to they would be one big slot, but not likely, beings you could probably cut the tool in half and use the top or bottom independently with a jack or hoist.
Adding slots would make it more flexible but also less secure. What I see when I look at the yellow/red overlap is that any material added to try and grab a 2.5 ton lug bolt (the red inside of the yellow) would prevent the tool from sliding over the 5 ton hub.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to make a new batch of 5 ton hub helpers and a prototype 2-piece 2.5 ton hub helper. Before the laser cuts these out does anybody want a 5 ton version? Please PM me if you do.

*Once I have a chance to fit the 2.5 ton version up to an M35 and I'm happy with it I will offer them for sale as well.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a sneak peek of the new prototype 2.5 ton version of the HubHelper! This is a 2-piece design that will fit in a flat rate box. Plans are in motion to trial fit this one to an M35 and then I will be ready to make a production run of them.

20190827_183512.jpg 20190827_183546.jpg 20190827_183525.jpg 20190827_183915.jpg 20190827_183927.jpg 20190827_183741.jpg

20190827_184542.jpg 20190827_184538.jpg 20190827_184516.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

These confirmed to work well on the 939(a2) air brake drums, front and rear? Not sure there is any difference as compared to the fluid 809 series drums. I’ll take one if so, don’t cut it up, I can provide a UPS or Fed-Ex account number to ship on. I have a new 24v gear reduction starter or 70a 24v alternator to trade if you’d rather. Either fit 809 series 250 engines which I think you have. Or cash is OK. Please and thanks. We can PM details. I want the yellow one, will look cool hanging on the wall, will tell everybody it is for something different.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These confirmed to work well on the 939(a2) air brake drums, front and rear? Not sure there is any difference as compared to the fluid 809 series drums. I’ll take one if so, don’t cut it up, I can provide a UPS or Fed-Ex account number to ship on. I have a new 24v gear reduction starter or 70a 24v alternator to trade if you’d rather. Either fit 809 series 250 engines which I think you have. Or cash is OK. Please and thanks. We can PM details. I want the yellow one, will look cool hanging on the wall, will tell everybody it is for something different.
I know some fellas have used them on A0 939 trucks and I assume those drums are the same. I think they would fit as the tool essentially mimics the contact area of a wheel and wheels interchange between 809s and 939s. Part target says the air brake drum has a 3/8" larger radius on the I.D. of the drum so if the thickness is the same that is only a 3/8" difference and there is 11/16" of clearance between the tool and the O.D. of my 809 drum (some of which is taken up by the bolt head). If others have used it on an A2 maybe they can chime in. In the mean time I like the sound of your gear reduction starter...hmm...

Last edited:

TheQuaker

I don't have an A1 or A2 but I can confirm mine worked perfect on my M923 to change out a leaking inner mid-axle seal over Labor Day weekend.

The helper made the whole job of removing, handling and reinstalling the hub/drum assembly a piece of cake! As suggested, I left the connecting bolt/nut between the helper and the jack a little loose and that allowed me to use the top ring to fine-tune the reinstall of the drum to avoid damaging the new seal.

I used a small, compact jack with the hub helper and it was very stable and easy to move around even on plywood (no pavement at the farm to work on...best I have is plywood over gravel).

I ordered it in safety yellow as well and I can attest that it does look great in that color!

IMG_3015.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks