• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introducing the Soldier B HubHelper!!

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have some pics of the latest 5-ton version in action? Would love to get one, but shipping to the Czech Republic would be killing. Besides, we start work on the drums this week. However, the truck is now at the blacksmith forge workshop of my son, so we should be able to copy some of your ideas for this. Probably mounted on a hand forklift
I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of this one in use since none have been delivered yet, but I will post them up if I get any photos back from customers.

Last edited:

Ajax MD

I used my Soldier B this weekend, and it definitely saved my back and sped up the process. Mounted to my floor jack in moments. I was able to precisely line up the drum to the spindle and just slip it right off (and on again) with zero drama. Much better than looping a strap through the drum and swinging it around. There are probably many ways to skin this particular cat but the Hub Helper is a great way to do it.

Worth every nickle.

TheQuaker

Another successful deployment of my 5-Ton Helper this past weekend.

My front passenger-side axle seal this time around leaking GO all over and needed replacement.

Just as with my front-rear axle seal a couple of months ago, the Hub Helper saved the day again (and my back, fingers, arms...). I cannot say enough about it!!!

IMG_3931.jpg

The Safety Yellow powder coating looks so good and is so bright it even attracted an admirer during the process...

IMG_3951.jpg

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the great feedback guys! I'm glad to hear that it's working so well for others. :)

Did that deer show up just in time for...dinner...?

TheQuaker

Did that deer show up just in time for...dinner...?
I wish...bow season here in MI at the moment. Not a bow hunter so still have to wait a couple of weeks until the 15th for firearm season to open...

She actually showed just as I was finishing buttoning up the axle and getting the 923 ready for a shakedown run to check my handiwork.

She stayed and watched what I was doing for quite awhile until I fired up the Cummins and then she decided it was time for her to go :)

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few 2-piece HubHelpers in the white. Note; the mottled appearance is the acid etching from the zinc phosphate bath and that is how I'll send out the bare steel versions. It's a good substrate to paint on. The powder coated versions get the same treatment but they're painted over.
20191105_200147.jpg

The nested 5 ton version kinda looks like a Japanese character...

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick update on the latest batch: all the rings (1 piece or upper piece) have been powder coated and the base pieces should be getting baked on Tuesday or Wednesday and ready to ship by the end of the week.

I'm all sold out of HubHelpers at this time so those that are interested can get signed up for the next batch.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few pics from the latest batch. This is just a portion of the batch as the bare steel units have already shipped out.

20191113_200107.jpg
20191113_203615.jpg

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These confirmed to work well on the 939(a2) air brake drums, front and rear? Not sure there is any difference as compared to the fluid 809 series drums. I’ll take one if so, don’t cut it up, I can provide a UPS or Fed-Ex account number to ship on. I have a new 24v gear reduction starter or 70a 24v alternator to trade if you’d rather. Either fit 809 series 250 engines which I think you have. Or cash is OK. Please and thanks. We can PM details. I want the yellow one, will look cool hanging on the wall, will tell everybody it is for something different.
74M35A2 - your inbox is full and your HubHelper is ready to ship. I'd like to learn more about your starters so let's talk shop...

77 AMG

Well, my pair of HubHelpers came in yesterday- the 2 piece 5 ton edition and the Deuce edition-
They came in right in time for me to use the 5 ton one, as I have a leaky wheel cylinder to deal with, as well as a pressure plate that decided to check out in rush hour traffic.... the fun just never stops with these trucks, does it? aua

Attachments

Last edited:

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 2.5 ton unit arrived courtesy of USPS yesterday. Hoping I don’t “have” to use it (now that it’s getting cold(er)), but: it’s a solid piece of kit! 10/10, would recommend.

Thanks for doing this!

SJ

74M35A2

Sorry, I'm popular. :) not. I have a starter to ship out for another member, I'm over-due on. Then will reach out to you. Thanks.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: after almost all the units have shipped out and the dust has settled I currently have 2 HubHelpers available that have not been spoken for. I previously thought they were all sold, but I miscounted.

I have (1) 2.5 ton yellow HubHelper and (1) 2-piece 5-ton yellow HubHelper. Please PM me if anyone is interested in either or both of them.

Glenngineer

Good idea ,but I would not balance something that heavy on a floor jack .If that falls over it's going to hurt .I would hang it from an engine hoist or small a frame jib .On my A1 I separated the hub and drum and did an outboard drum set up to make the parts manageable. Just my thoughts ,be safe.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good idea ,but I would not balance something that heavy on a floor jack .If that falls over it's going to hurt .I would hang it from an engine hoist or small a frame jib .On my A1 I separated the hub and drum and did an outboard drum set up to make the parts manageable. Just my thoughts ,be safe.
It will be top-heavy so one has to be careful. What's nice about the floor jack aside from hydraulic advantage is that it can be lowered to get the center of gravity closer to the ground. The round loop on the top allows a chain fall or cherry picker to be used from above, but the hub would not be neutrally balanced as it hung there and would require some muscle to get it reassembled.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought that I could make one myself cheaply, by using a rim of a spare tire laying around. Even bought a good 2 ton garage jack for this. Took some time before I could transport the tire to a shop that separated the tire and the rim.

Then I found out that these rims are rather heavy by themselves. Maybe cut it in half to lower the weight and make it more stable.

I was discussing this with my blacksmith son and his apprentice, having to put back the already removed drum asap so we can move the truck. Their response: "forget it for now, we will put that hub back together tomorrow using man power and slings; what you want to do with the next 5 hubs is for later".

Getting the already removed drum into the rim and then that combo onto the jack would be a pain anyway.

They did appreciate the new jack tough, just what they needed to install the "new" power hammer. :mad:auaaua

rofl

IMG_8756_resize.JPG IMG_8755_resize.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks