• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introducing the Soldier B HubHelper!!

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We all have to deal with removing hubs / brake drums at some point on our 5 tons and given the weight of these assemblies and how clumsy they're to handle it's nice to have an extra hand or gizmo to help out. I have seen wooden cribbing, jack stands on creepers, and purpose made truck shop dollies to aid in this painful exercise, but after being inspired by the half-wheel fixture that MyothersanM1 made up I decided to design one of my own. This spring I had 4 wheel cylinders to rebuild and this tool made it super easy.
20180928_174058.jpg20180928_175902.jpg20180928_175912.jpg20180928_175922.jpg20180929_160334.jpg20180316_175742.jpg20180316_181650.jpg20180316_175809.jpg

This HubHelper is laser cut out of 3/8" thick P&O (pickled & oiled) carbon steel plate, formed on a CNC press brake, deburred in a vibratory shaker, and then a chamfer is added to both sides of every hole with a heavy countersink on at least 4 lug holes for the lug nuts or thimbles to seat on. There is a generous slot that allows it to be mounted to a floor jack that has a round hole (not D-shaped) and it can accommodate up to a 1" bolt for mounting. The black jack in the bare metal pictures is using a 1" bolt and the blue jack in the yellow pictures is using a 3/4" bolt with a large washer. There is a large ring on the top to use for man-handling the hub or to lift it with a cherry picker/engine hoist. The first picture shows the HubHelper powder coated safety yellow and tricked out with a spout and a can holder that I made after my front hub gushed gear oil all down the tool and all over the floor jack during its trial use. These trinkets are intended to catch dripping oil coming out of the front hub and would not be used on a rear hub. In the last photo you can see an adjustable set bolt that I thought would support the drum and keep the weight from bending the tool, but the metal is strong enough that this is probably unnecessary.

I leave the large bolt slightly loose and use the loop on the top to direct the hub back over the spindle with ease and no fear of messing up a hub seal. This allows the hub to be minutely adjusted by hand as the inner bearing seats on the spindle. What I love is this thing will hold your hub and drum indefinitely while you change brakes shoes, repack bearings, replace wheel seals or what ever you need to do and your floor jack holds it at the same height for reassembly. I just replaced 2 wheel seals and this lets you creep up on the spindle so you can position the inner wheel seal in just the right spot with no worry of rolling the lip.

This was originally just something I made to make my life easier and save my back, but if it generates enough interest I will start selling these to whoever wants one.

Moderators: This is just an introduction to explain usage and gauge interest and if I do produce any to sell I will put a post in the classified section.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a really cool idea. I think I would want one if not gold plated. :)

My hat is off to you Sir, On your ingenious idea and execution.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a really cool idea. I think I would want one if not gold plated. :)

My hat is off to you Sir, On your ingenious idea and execution.
They won't be gold plated price-wise, but it does take a few pennies to power the 5,000 Watt laser across that length of cutting and there is a fair amount of metal there.

I'll be able to sell these for $90 (bare metal or with a zinc-phosphate acid etch layer) + shipping. I should have pricing info for the powder coating option within the week if people are interested in that option (a few colors would be available). If someone wants the add-on brackets for catching oil that would also add to the base price.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a very reasonable price, but use caution with your overhead stock, most of us are very cheap as well. Also if shipping is tough, maybe break them into pieces, so they would fit in a flat rate box and we weld them together???

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice tool! I am lucky enough to have some damaged rims for both 5 and 2 1/2 tons. I will torch or plasma cut the center out of them to get the bolt pattern ring and go from there with adding the brackets by welding.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about one for 2.5 ton hub? Less hole to cut out
A 6-hole version would be a little less but I can't say for sure how much less until I run a simulation through the laser software. I would want someone kinda local who has a 2.5 ton to be a Guinea pig if I make that version.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a very reasonable price, but use caution with your overhead stock, most of us are very cheap as well. Also if shipping is tough, maybe break them into pieces, so they would fit in a flat rate box and we weld them together???
That could be an option. What you save on shipping you might end up spending on welding wire, gas, and electricity...

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got pricing back on the powder coating option and I can add that for $18.

After my day job eases up in late January I will design a 2.5 ton version of the Soldier B HubHelper.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be ordering one of these next month; just got through upgrading home computer & network system, as well as some unintended medical expenses for this month.

Nice job, this is an exciting development! I'll probably get one of your Deuce versions as well, can't hurt anyway.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be ordering one of these next month; just got through upgrading home computer & network system, as well as some unintended medical expenses for this month.

Nice job, this is an exciting development! I'll probably get one of your Deuce versions as well, can't hurt anyway.
For next month I'll run another batch along with the 2.5 ton prototype.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added some color options for those that want one powder coated. Sorry, I don't have 383 green powder (but someday I will). Here are the choices:
Gloss black
Battleship gray
Corvette gray
Safety yellow
A darker industrial green (similar to a dodge pillow block bearing color)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks