Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: M60 repair

4 Star General
    Thanks

Will seriously my friend you have a very COOL retirement going!!! I am envious.
    Karl

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 803 Posts

Here is a link to a FB page from one of the volunteers pages,

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.enri...FapGN9_u6Nu35X
    ASMH Volunteer

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillWagner View Post
    Here is a link to a FB page from one of the volunteers pages,

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.enri...FapGN9_u6Nu35X
    content unavailable, I think we would all need to send him a friend request to see it

Thanks

Umm, leme see if I can find a way to get it from FB
    ASMH Volunteer

Thanks

A M816 should be able to do an engine swap. You will probably have to take and bring the engines to the hull on trailers as I am sure the wrecker will not "walk" with them.

Thanks

578 and M62/548 are at the Museum, 578 just needs a look over, it runs and ASFIK, works, never excersized the crane, cables look good. M62 is stuck, tried moving it to get the M60 out, but there are brake issues, this one needs a re spool. Both will not walk the pack, they need to pull and rotate to be able to lift at their "happy" spot.
    ASMH Volunteer

Thanks

Tried to grt thr FB link vid downloaded to my puter, but I aint so smarrrt. Sorry.

Silverstate, there are markings on it, USMC 51505 on both sides of the hull, front and rear, have A15 on the left and 21442 on the right. Any info would be great!
    ASMH Volunteer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WillWagner For This Useful Post:

silverstate55 (11-28-2018)

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 522 Posts

Hmmm I've never been able to figure out the USMC registration numbers...perhaps there's someone else on here who can enlighten us on those.

Typically the 5-digit registration number would be stencilled on each side sponson box. The letter and double-digit numbers denote the company (USMC tank battalions with M60A1s had 4 line companies, A-D, and an HQ company). The first numeric digit was the platoon within that company and the last numeric digit was the tank number within that platoon. When the M1A1s replaced the M60A1s shortly after Desert Storm, tank platoon shrunk from 5 tanks to 4. My old tank was C31 then C35: Charlie Company, 3rd Platoon, 1st then 5th tank. In Desert Storm we were issued the Israeli-style chevrons, and each company rotated through the four directions of the chevron. We also marked the barrel ends of the main gun for platoons: one black or white/tan stripe around the main gun barrel denoted 1st Platoon, 2 stripes circling was 2nd Platoon, and so on....one horizontal stripe off of the last circling stripe indicated the first tank of that platoon (the platoon leader's tank, aka the LT's tank). I don't recall HQ tank markings (typically only 2 tanks for the company CO & XO; the XO tank would also have an M9 dozer blade on it, aka the "Blade Tank," and those hardly ever ran due to the crews also being admin pogues and "too busy" with admin/office duties to do their tank crewman duties....leaving it to us line guys to get tasked with working on those too, especially during inspections. So during exercises with OPFOR crews, those tanks were the easiest to infiltrate up to & drop CS gas canisters inside....making the crews have to wear gas masks for the entire rest of the exercise).

This is all from 84-92, so my memories have become a bit fuzzy on some of those details. I've never been able to figure out the registration numbers on the sponson boxes, sorry. But it sounds like you have Alpha Company's old tank, 1st Platoon, 5th tank out of 5. Alpha Company for the 1st Tank Battalion did the majority of Floats/WestPacs and amphibious training, so those tanks would probably be the rustiest. Unless that tank was out of the 3rd Tank Battalion's detachment at 29 Palms, then it would be pretty clean rust-wise.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to silverstate55 For This Useful Post:

BLK HMMWV (11-28-2018)

Thanks

I dropped by today and saw his handy work up close. real close!! Thanks Will. It was nice of Craig to let me be apart of that.
    What was the sucker with the radial he wanted to have you peek at next a Priest ?. Or was that who he suggested you go see.
    Keep up the good work.
    BH

Thanks

I loved your eyes dude! Although I LOVE to work on things, I am hoping I do not have to climb in and out, up and down in THAT vehicle for a bit. It wore me out. The thrill for me is to bring things back to life/running order, using my pea brain instead of the BS troubleshooting that Cummins made me/us do. This "job" is WAY more fulfilling than the everyday stuff I did at Cummins, even though I liked what I did, but as the place evolved from a distributor to the "factory", it started to suck, BIG time.

I have some pics, too tired to post tonite, maybe tomorrow, it is supposed to pour.

Other things in the pipeline, , M3 scout car, one of the last contract Willys USN 2wd jeeps, M578....

Silverstate, thanks for the info! This one is a rust bucket, the throttle issue is directly related to that issue. The other M60 is rust free, but was recovered from Pendelton as was this one. This one is mostly complete, missing the laser sights, flood light controls, the other is pretty much stripped.
    ASMH Volunteer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast