• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-803a coolant temperature sender

rodny123

Just picked up a mep-803a from the auctions and it is missing the coolant temperature sender. Somebody has removed it for some reason. I looked thru all the TM's and could not find the part number or NSN number. Can you buy it separately or does it come with a new temperature gauge. If someone knows where I can get one or if you have one you would like to sell then please reply back or send me a message.

Please help.

Thanks,
Rodney

Guyfang

Staff member
Try looking at TM 9-6115-641-24P, figure 20 for the part number. Look at CROSS-REFERENCE INDEXES PART NUMBER INDEX in the back of the TM for the NSN. A little OJT here for you, will help you learn the way around the TM's.

kaletheriot

Hope this isn't too old of a topic to reply to!

CANNOT locate a temperature sensor/sender for my MEP803a

I've looked through the TM and located the part number ( 127338 ) and stock number (2990-01-366-0735)

I've searched the internet with no success - Nothing on ebay. Tried a universal one from Amazon that didn't work.

Found the link to Mibot - Ordered a direct replacement, only to have the order canceled and refunded.

Reached out to GMG for assistance, and was told that they could not provide the part at this time.

Any ideas?

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't recall off the top of my head what the threaded interface is on the DN2M and DN4M blocks, but the sensor is not that special. It is a fairlt standard 240-33 ohm sensor and will work with 12v or 24v gauges. So if you can find one rated for 240°F @ ~33 Ohms that fits the hole in the block from any mfg, you should be good to go.

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might look at Amazon for a 1/8 npt universal, for 0-150C. It is about $9. Just check the ohms in the listing.
All the best,
Pb
I bought 3 originals from 3 different sellers and had the money refunded each time then bought 2 of the universal ones that stated they had the correct values and they all read about 40 degrees too high, finally today I found an exact replacement to the original so I figured I would share the replacement number on it.

JLG 91143314

image_2023-08-21_133606232.png
Seems an exact match even has the "G4" on the side, also states it is 100-240F like the Faria 127338 one...we shall see...
Below is the original I put the original spacer and washer on the new universal one that read wrong
PXL_20230821_174010686[1].jpg

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am happy to report the new sender is spot on with temp gun and working properly...also seems the Faria 127338 and the JLG 91143314 are the same part?
Pics below from old (Faria 127338 ) and new (JLG 91143314) senders.
image_2023-08-25_114059708.pngimage_2023-08-25_114139557.pngPXL_20230825_152948957[1].jpg

Just leaving this data here for the next person searching for one.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good work. JLG is a subsidiary of Oshkosh trucks... so I'd be willing to bet its a Faria produced item, but with an Oshkosh # on it. They wouldn't make it different for them. Onan/Cummins is great for attaching their own number on someone elses part.

RClark13

Did you do any homework on replacement gauge?
I've had horrible luck with "Military" aftermarket sellers/re-sellers.
Ordered on from one of the big names,it was too small, got the usual "there is only one for all MEP-802A, you must have a different engine" response.
Saw a few on ebay that say "exactly the same as OE....Except..."
Replacing sender with this JLG, just dont want to smoke a gauge because "it was exactly the same...Except"

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well for coolant gauges you have a couple options (stock depending). This is a drop in replacement, but will read 15-20* higher than reality (though that has no effect on the coolant overtemp sensor which will still work properly if its too hot)

I have also personally used the DATCON 101587, but I don't see it available anywhere.

The one in the classifieds will work here. If you wanted it to be spot on, I am sure you could get the info from Beede on the resistance range and a suitable sender replacement... but it will work as is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks