• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Harris ANPRV 150

Delta dan

Hello all, new member have a question for all the HAM guys I own a ANPRC 150 it’s fully functional I’ve played with is some but have been unable to RCV and transmissions ( I am not licensed yet ) I am curious if this radio set is incompatible with civilian set of if it’s operator error I am including an info sheet and thx ahead of time

https://www.harris.com/sites/default/files/downloads/solutions/an-prc-150c-type-1-hf-radio.pdf

General
Frequency Range: 1.6 to 59.999 MHz
Net Presets: 75, fully programmable
Frequency Stability ±0.5 x 10–6
Emission Modes: J3E (single sideband, upper or lower, suppressed carrier telephony), H3E (compatible AM single sideband plus full carrier), A1A, J2A (compatible CW), selectable; F3E (FM)
RF Input/Output Impedance: 50 Ω nominal, unbalanced
Power Input: 26 VDC (21.5 to 32 VDC)
Data Interface: Synchronous or asynchronous (RS-232C; MIL-STD-188-114A)
Dimensions (with battery case): 10.5W x 3.5H x 13.2D inches (26.7W x 8.1H x 34.3D cm)
Radio Weight: 10 lb (4.7 kg) without batteries
Model: RT-1694D (P)(C)/U
Receiver
Sensitivity SSB: –113 dBm (0.5 µV) minimum for 10 dB SINAD
Audio Output: 15 mW at 1000 Ω to external handset
Squelch: Front panel adjustable, active squelch selectable
IF Rejection: Greater than 80 dB
Image Rejection: Greater than 80 dB (First IF image)
Intermodulation Distortion: –80 dB or better for two –30 dBm signals separated 30 kHz or more
Overload Protection: Receiver protected to 32 VRMS..
Transmitter
Power Output: 1, 5, 20 watts PEP/Average -1/+2 dB (1, 5, 10 watts FM)
Audio Input: 1.5 mV at 150 Ω or 0 dBm at 600 Ω for full rated output
Carrier Suppression: Greater than 60 dB below PEP output (J3E mode)
Undesired Sideband Suppression: Greater than 60 dB below PEP output
Spurious Outputs: –50 dB relative to rated output, except harmonics which are –40 dB (Greater than 20 kHz from Fc) Minimum for fo = 1.6-30 MHz
Antenna Tuning Capability: OE-505 10-foot (3 m) whip (1.6 to 60 MHz), RF-1936P (AS-2259) NVIS (1.6 to 30 MHz), RF-1940-AT001/RF-1941 dipole
Environmental
Test Method: Per MIL-STD-810E
Immersion: 3 ft. (.9 m) of water
Operating temperature: –40 °C to +70 °C
HF Features
Encrypted Data HF: MIL-STD-188-110B App. C (9600 bit/s and 12,800 bit/s uncoded), App. B 39 tone (to 2400 bit/s), Serial Tone (to 9600 bit/s), STANAG 4285 (2400 bit/s), STANAG 4415 (75 bit/s), STANAG 4539 (9600 bit/s), FSK (600 bit/s)
VHF: FSK (16 kbit/s)
Automatic Link Establishment (ALE): STANAG 4538 FLSU, MIL-STD-188-141B Appendix A with Appendix B AL-1 LP, including the Scope Command telephony call type
Frequency hopping: Serial Tone ECCM
Vocoder: HF LPC-10-52E (600/2400) MELP (600/2400), VHF: CVSD
Data Link Layer Protocol (ARQ): STANAG 4538 (3G), pFED-STD-1052
VHF Features
Data: Wideband FSK (16 kbit/s)
Voice Digitization: CVSD (16 kbit/s)
COMSEC Interoperability
ANDVT/KY-99, ANDVT/KY-100, KG-84C, KY-57 VINSON (VHF), CITADEL (NSA approved exportable COMSEC)

Wire Fox

"You're not supposed to have that." It has an encryption device integrated into that radio which makes it unable to be sold to the civilian market. Either you've got an export version that doesn't actually have that, it's stolen (maybe not by you, but n somebody did), or it was accidentally released by somebody that will eventually come looking for it when they realized how they screwed up.

All that said, it can work on amateur radio in limited use with a technician license. You'll be able to use the 6M band (50-54 MHz) without CTCSS or DCS tones...most amateur radio repeaters require use of one of those to transmit, but you'll still be able to receive audio. You can only transmit a 150Hz tone, which works with military radios, but not amateur radio. There's also a couple of bands in HF that will allow you to do CW or some narrowband data, but not much.

With a general class license, you get the ability to use all amateur modes on various HF bands from 1.8-29.7 MHz. This isn't continuous straight through, so you'd want to consult a band plan before transmitting until you have it memorized. HF tends to not use subaudible tones in voice transmission, so your radio will operate very well in the HF mode and can be paired to a computer terminal to generate all the common data modes that amateur radio operators use that aren't natively supported by the radio.

All that said, you should just send your radio to me. I'll keep it safe, keep it warm, keep the batteries charged and will bury it every time the feds come knocking to try to reclaim it.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

NormB

You‘re unable to RECEIVE?

You should be able to bring in a signal with a wet noodle as an antenna, random length of wire even. Make sure there‘s a counterpoise (random wire) on the ground side of the BNC or PL259 connector.

If it‘s not pulling in a signal al all, it‘s either broken, or locked out.

I played around with one of its predecessors about 25 years ago on an MIA-POW recovery mission in Cambodia. No one knew how to work it. I messed with it all night, manual and codes in hand, couldn‘t make headway at all. No one else on the team could either, sadly - we didn‘t rate a radioman for some reason - so it sat in storage the rest of the trip.

I‘m a ham, extra. Wasn‘t one then. Even with what I‘ve learned the past five years, I still don‘t think I could‘ve operated that unit.

There‘s a reason there‘s an MOS for radiotelephone operator.

Curious what you paid. They only sell for like $22,000. But they have rechargeable lithium cells now, not the use-once throw away kind we were using on handhelds back then.

Norm

papakb

Be aware:

The PRC-138 is probably the most sophisticated HF/VHF man pack rig that will ever fall into the hands of a civilian. Why?
The successor (PRC-150) has built in encryption that is strong enough to be considered a Munition by the government. As such, PRC-150 rigs will probably go to the crusher when they quit working or are replaced.

NormB

Be aware:The PRC-138 is probably the most sophisticated HF/VHF man pack rig that will ever fall into the hands of a civilian. Why? The successor (PRC-150) has built in encryption that is strong enough to be considered a Munition by the government. As such, PRC-150 rigs will probably go to the crusher when they quit working or are replaced.

Source the the foregoing: http://www.w7kf.com/Articles/Rigs/PRC-138.html

I've looked around, a LOT, can't find anything specifically forbidding civilian sales, except the NSA levels of data security/encryption seems like they aren't legal in non state-actors' hands.

I'm pretty sure what you've got is NOT an ANC 150. You might not want to post pictures of it anywhere, or discuss further.

I seem to recall quite a row over some scumbag GIs selling military grade (military PROPERTY marked) night vision gear on fleabay about ten years ago and several people being put away for a LONG time.

Because you own a thing, and someone sold the thing, doesn't necessarily equate to it's legal to own, nor wise.

Just saying.

But thanks for sharing.

NB

okto

I was under the impression that a device is only CCI when it’s keyed, and that there are no specific legal barriers to a civilian owning surplus encryption hardware—that it’s rare to find it in the wild as a matter of military policy, not of law.
If it were illegal to own US crypto gear, I don’t think there would be as many RF-310s in circulation as there are, likewise PRC-148s. It’s definitely an ITAR item, but that shouldn’t matter unless it crosses borders.

There’s a story of someone coming across surplus Motorola Sabers many years ago with FASCINATOR encryption modules (uses the same SAVILLE algorithm as the KY-57) still installed. From what I remember the NSA asked for them back but didn’t send any men in suits, so I think it’s a “we would strongly prefer you didn’t” situation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks