• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SEE hose reel swivels

Pinsandpitons

Maybe this saves some searching and some money for someone else. The part numbers for the oft-leaking swivels on the tool hose reel;
NSN 4730-01-160-9833
John Deere 99272188
Hanney Reels 9927.8138 or 9927.8139 (depending on o-ring material)

Also I found a viton re-seal kit for 1/2 the price of a new swivel. Just search for "Hannay Reels 99 36.0374"

When I get the kits in the mail and install them I'll try and update with a "yes this works" or a "don't listen to me".

Edited Hanney Reels Part #s

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perfect timing, P&P! I bought plugs for my hoses (-8 JIC if memory serves me) and installed them two days ago, so that I could dig into the swivels.

In my case, not only do the swivels leak, but on this particular FLU (the only one that leaks, of course) there's no way to turn the PTO off, so they really leak.
I'd like to put that one back in the garage before winter, which is why fixing the leaks is somewhat important.

By the way, it seems like the hose ends differ from one FLU to the next, so don't get those JIC plugs until you have checked that that's what your swivels use.

Speedwoble

The hose reel is run off of the front pump, not the PTO. Maybe you meant there is no way to turn off the hose reel? If so, you many not want to deadhead the system by capping the hose reel, rather loop them together.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hose reel is run off of the front pump, not the PTO. Maybe you meant there is no way to turn off the hose reel? If so, you many not want to deadhead the system by capping the hose reel, rather loop them together.
Right you are. Too much going on to remember that little detail about the front pump.
Anyway, it's been deadheading so far (not that I've had it running much) so it'll hopefully be fine with a bit more. That's one reason I want it back in the garage; to figure out the system.

There may well be a switch for the tool reel somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. And it may be possible to turn the PTO off, too, somehow. Lots to learn still.

Come to think of it, on this one the tools may not run off the front...there's only one tank. Like I said, lots to learn here.

Last edited:

Pinsandpitons

Only one tank you say? Might be a unicorn. Normally the tools are run off of one of the valves behind the cab. I can’t recall which one, but it should be the one with a single solenoid on it, not two. If it’s stuck on or always commanded to be on maybe that’s why the tool reel won’t shut off.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did take a quick look around for switches today, and there are two I could try. Although, if mounted correctly they're already in the off position.
Good thinking on the solenoids. I'll take a peek in that area, maybe disconnect the wire(s) for now.

Unfortunately the swivels are so bad that they leak for months after having started the engine.

'll

Pinsandpitons

Update:
The rebuild kits that I got in the mail are not the right size or type. Something's haywire and while I wanted to call Hannay today and try and sort it out, I was unable to make the time. In short, the "super Swivels kit (GLT) SS8PB-Kit-008" is not a match for the swivels I have on my 600 series reel. Too big.

I'll update as I get more info.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than the NPT on the reel end, the swivels I looked at were all different.
So far I've only plugged the hoses and yesterday I parked the (formerly) leaky one in the garage. Now I can disassemble one swivel and see what's in there.
They won't come off without a fight, which is why disassembly in place seems to be the best method.

Pinsandpitons

I got mine off pretty easily. The left one as you’re facing the reel required vice grips on the reel to break the pipe thread lose. But it wasn’t too bad. The seals in the swivels are not simple O-rings there’s a fiber support ring and a nylon support ring and then a rubber o-ring that has a cross-section a little like the Kilroy was here dude. Sort of flat against the inside diameter and a round-ish o-ring that seals on the outside diameter. Kind of a bad description but definitely not the size or shape of the kit I received. Also the snaprings were totally miss matched.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting at least one of them off would be nice, since there may be a manufacturer logo or part number on it.
I didn't try with completely locking the reel in place, so that's still an option I should try.

It'd be interesting to compare the internals, I think. With any luck the swivels are from the same manufacturer, just with differing hose connections.

Pinsandpitons

I talked with Hanney reels yesterday and because i didn't have the reel SN in-front of me we cant be absolutely certain, but it looks like the specific swivels i have are unicorns or not hannay swivels. Oh well. The easiest thing at this point is to get a 1/2” swivel from any of the places out there and add the JIC male onto it.
CBF238D6-59BD-4721-9095-5C7D7512D148.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks