• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny leak after emergency stop

Abbylind

My M1008 had been running great. The other night I was forced to lock up the brakes when a semi turned in my path. Everything seemed fine but a day later I noticed an "oily" spray on the tailgate. A day later the truck started shifting strange and wouldnt move forward after stopping until I revved the engine. Limped it home and noticed it was leaking ATF around the rear of the tranny and transfer case. Would a quick stop (no impact) cause the seal between the transfer case and the tranny to break loose? Maybe cracked the adaptor for the transfer case?

TIA

Chaski

Clean the daylights out of it and go crack hunting. Transfer case adaptors and transmission cases are known to crack.

Abbylind

I came home and took a gander at the tranny. It appears the leak is coming from the rubber hose connecting line that goes from the transmission to the coolant lines. imagine it would wear out after 33 years!
Anyone know what type of rubber hose to use? Fuel line ok?

TIA

ehuppert

Do NOT use fuel line... Gates makes transmission rubber hose, 27058 for the 5/16. We usaully get it in the 3 foot blister pack. Rated for temp and pressure. Fuel line will work for a while, then it won't!

I'm in the middle of running new steel lines, but not sure if the factory cucv stuff is 3*8 or 5*16. Fittings on the trans take 5*16 tube fittings

edit/add

With that said, Truck should have steel lines from transmission to radiator....

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

That's not original, but it's not a problem. Transmission rated hose will last a long time. Do yourself a favor and get new clamps while you're at it.

Abbylind

I figured out why the lines are terminated in rubber hoses. Years ago the transmission housing cracked due to a bent drive shaft. The repair shop couldnt find the same type th400 housing so the cooler lines were modified to fit the new housing

Abbylind

The plot thickens! The snow melted enough and I threw a tarp under the truck and crawled underneath. What I thought were rubber lines were in fact the metal cooling lines covered in grease and mud! I wiped them clean and lo and behold one of the lines had rubbed through where the cooling line clamp attaches to the rear of the oil pan. I dont know if the clamp was rubber lined but mine was metal on metal and wore two grooves in the line. The clamp had also worn through.
So Ill order 2 new lines and a rubber lined clamp....

cucvrus

You can piece the line with a double flair fitting. Even a compression fitting will work. That is your call. Then just split some 3/8" fuel line and add it to the outside. that will cushion the clamp and protect the line. Bending mew lines isn't all that bad. Getting them back where they belong is the best way to get it done. I like the steel lines. Good Luck. I think you have it under control.

cucvrus

My guess would be 5/16" due to the fact that a 1/2" crows foot wrench will loosen and tighten the fittings in the transmission case and radiator cooler. 3/8" is 9/16". That is an easy fix. 1/2 hour and report back. Thank you. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks