• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny leak after emergency stop

Abbylind

Well I cut and installed the new union on one of the lines. While I was cutting I nicked the second line....so I installed a new union to the second line....Found a pin hole leak on the second line just forward of the new union.....drat! Looks like Ill have to splice a small section on the second line as I dont think I have enough to pull the two sections together......jeez fix one thing break two more in the process....
I would warn M1008 owners to check their transmission cooler lines where the line clamp is located on the forward section of the transmission. The clamp eventually wears through the lines...lesson learned

MarcusOReallyus

Transmissions generate some high pressures internally, but the cooler lines don't carry any high pressure. Rubber hose (rated for trans fluid, of course) and some clamps will make a perfectly good, permanent repair. No unions needed.

Keep it simple.

cucvrus

Rubber hose is fine if you run on pavement all the time. A stick the size of a pencil will rip the rubber hope right off. I know. I done it. Hit a piece of banding material while plowing and sliced it. I was leaving a blood trail for about 10 minutes. Also off road I always make sure the metal lines are in place. Tucked up and secured in the stock location I never tore one of even running thru and over multi flower rose bushes. My favorite way to cut them down is drive over them and stop in the middle while they are still bent over. Cut them off at ground level. That sweeps out the undercarriage. A couple times my M1009 looked like it was new it was that clean underneath. Millions of bristle cleaning it in 6 ft grass. Have a Great Day. I hope it all worked out for you. Steel is stronger then rubber.

Abbylind

Ended up putting in a rubber hose for now. It works, no leaks. I agree metal is best. Too much mud and snow to work under the truck right now. Ill be looking for a complete new set of lines to replace my patch job. Thanks everyone for the tips

MarcusOReallyus

Yes, no doubt metal is best, but for a quick fix, rubber works just fine. For myself, I would replace the whole line before I'd mess with splicing in with unions.

cucvrus

DSCF5911.jpgDSCF5910.jpgLook who I found bleeding out in my driveway. Mr. Rusty returns. More fun times are ahead. This one is not that bad. Just bad timing. Very cold week planned. Snow plow truck could be handy with a pending storm. DSCF5912.jpgSee where it is leaking? Right at the clamp. Seems like it snagged something and gave it just enough of a tweak to break open and start leaking. DSCF5913.jpgThat is the same red I see in the stones when butchering. That's just another task I must take care of. Yes Rubber hose would fix it. But I can put a piece in it for now. With a double flaring tool or a compression fitting. It could have waited for warmer weather.[h=2][/h]

Abbylind

OMG! The contagion is spreading! CUCV tranny line vaccine must be administered throughout the Steel Soldiers network....!
I agree completely they could have waited for fairer weather.....
As soon as spring has sprung I'll be replacing mine with metal....

cucvrus

DSCF5914 - Copy.jpgDSCF5915 - Copy.jpgDSCF5916.jpg
rubber does not rust out...

just sayin' :razz:
No rubber will just rot off. But any who I did a quick fix on a bad cooler line today in 178 weather outside on the ground. Total cost was about $25. in materials. Today after work I decided Mr. Rusty will not fix himself. I went and bought a short piece of 5/16" steel tubing and 4 compression fittings. I crawled under and found the bad spot. With it being so cold and I was laying on the ground I decided to repair the line only. And only the one that was leaking. In about an hour it was fixed. Not my best work but better then leaking fluid. DSCF5917.jpgDSCF5918.jpgDSCF5919.jpgMr. Rusty has more rust than I can shake a stick at. But for the most part it will be 4 years since I fixed it and it is holding up well. It sits out all the time and gets used hard plowing a 4 mile mountain lane to the owners house. He ask if I wanted to do some refurbishing this spring and t does need some attention. So I will get on it again. The front header pipes are rusted thru and the fly wheel/flex plate is bad yet. It will be all fixable. I think the cooler line fix will be good till then. Not my best work but it works. This is not a daily driver or a vehicle restoration. Just a fix and repair and back in the fight. It started right up after I finished the repairs. good since it has been -0 for the past 3 nights. The polar vortex can move along any time now. Still liking the remote start on my Trail Boss. Sweet. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

DSCF5911.jpgI added a gallon. It kept draining while it was setting there. I am assuming that it was the bottom line from the radiator cooler due to the amount that drained out. It was driven to my place from about 7 miles away. So I think all is well. In spring I will service the transmission and change out the lines. I am thinking of looking into some hydraulic lines. They are very tough and I can route them up out of the way.

cucvrus

Abbylind I am still waiting patiently for a report on the LMC transmission cooler lines. I have Mr. Rusty sitting here and he needs to have the transmission lines, flex-plate, exhaust replaced. I have to get rolling on that but have been holding off waiting for a fit and finish report on the cooler lines. I can hardly fab them up at that price. I have considered hydraulic lines. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

Abbylind

Here are the lines Dr Cucvrus.....I laid them under the M1008...looks like they will fit. The challenge will be getting them through the frame member that crosses under the oil pan. The quality looks pretty good...we"ll see how they fit...

20190612_131624.jpg
Ill attempt the install in a few weeks. Work, Dr appointments, honeydews, have priority. My temporary repair will have to suffice for now....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks