• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Starter

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am installing a new GEP P400 HMMWV engine in my 1984 M1028 truck and cannot bring myself to install a cheap Chinese after-market starter on this magnificient piece of machinery. I have a few extra dollars laying around, and would like to purchase a new 24-volt starter that is correct for the engine. Can any of you HMMWV guys tell me where to source a new GEP HMMWV starter?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dock Rocker

I believe I heard Michael Vaiden say he had a few new ones. They are really not cheap though.

Look up Black Dog Customs in Madison Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody happen to have an email address and/or cell number for Michael Vaiden? He has not responded to a message sent through his website and the number listed on the site will not allow me to leave a message.

Still looking for a new GEP HMMWV starter. I wouldn't turn down considering an excellent low-mileage used unit.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a fyi that I suspect you know already. The Gear reduction starters can not be used in a hmmwv because of a fitment/clearance issue. They are a better design and crank faster drawing less amps. I would suspect that there has to be a US manufacture of them out there.

I believe Southern Automotive which is a rebuilder and supplier for the military, could source a quality reman hmmwv style OE presolite.
http://www.southernautomotive.com/catalog/index.php/

There is a rebuilder on Fl that is always posting a parts wanted ad here on ss for cores. Not sure if they sell direct but that might be another idea.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a fyi that I suspect you know already. The Gear reduction starters can not be used in a hmmwv because of a fitment/clearance issue. They are a better design and crank faster drawing less amps. I would suspect that there has to be a US manufacture of them out there.

I believe Southern Automotive which is a rebuilder and supplier for the military, could source a quality reman hmmwv style OE presolite.
http://www.southernautomotive.com/catalog/index.php/

There is a rebuilder on Fl that is always posting a parts wanted ad here on ss for cores. Not sure if they sell direct but that might be another idea.
Juan thanks for the post. Are you saying that a new HMMWV starter will not fit my new GEP 6.5 P400 block? My P400 came directly from GEP in the crate, so what I am looking for is the correct 24-volt starter for that engine. I prefer a new starter however not opposed to an excellent rebuilt unit. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Wire Fox

Juan thanks for the post. Are you saying that a new HMMWV starter will not fit my new GEP 6.5 P400 block? My P400 came directly from GEP in the crate, so what I am looking for is the correct 24-volt starter for that engine. I prefer a new starter however not opposed to an excellent rebuilt unit. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
No, he's saying that you must use a direct-drive starter, which is what's standard equipment on the HMMWV. It's tempting to use a gear reduction starter that's commonly used on the CUCV because of it's lighter weight, smaller size, and generally smaller cost, but the cable locations will be wrong and you'll have a frustrating time making it work. If you get the original design used on most HMMWVs, it will work for you with only the usual annoyances: it's really heavy and hard to line up without a good assistant and a jack.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, he's saying that you must use a direct-drive starter, which is what's standard equipment on the HMMWV. It's tempting to use a gear reduction starter that's commonly used on the CUCV because of it's lighter weight, smaller size, and generally smaller cost, but the cable locations will be wrong and you'll have a frustrating time making it work. If you get the original design used on most HMMWVs, it will work for you with only the usual annoyances: it's really heavy and hard to line up without a good assistant and a jack.
Thanks Fox. Now I understand. I am looking for a direct-drive 24-volt starter. Hmmm.... I just remembered, I already have an original direct-drive 24-volt starter which came off my M1028 when I replaced it with the newer gear reduction unit. Let me see if I can find that thing, and if so, maybe I should simply have it rebuilt?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There might be a problem with using a Humvee starter in a 1028. The brace on the front of the starter is intergrated into the motor mount on the Humvee. On the 1028 it is a small brace that bolts to the block. You would not be able to brace the starter. You would run a HUGE risk of breaking the block at the blot holes.

Skrilex

Banned
i Just sold a heavy starter on eBay. That thing was insanely huge. I have no idea why they would need such an enormous starter.

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There might be a problem with using a Humvee starter in a 1028. The brace on the front of the starter is intergrated into the motor mount on the Humvee. On the 1028 it is a small brace that bolts to the block. You would not be able to brace the starter. You would run a HUGE risk of breaking the block at the blot holes.
Well, why wouldn't my original direct-drive 6.2 starter work? My P400 block appears to have the threaded hole for the starter brace.

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn’t a p400 just an AMG 6.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The P400 was designed by GEP for the upfit HMMWV. Forged crank, forged rods with fractured cap technology, forged pistons with ceramic coating, thicker decks, improved water passages, hardened valve inserts, plus a unique 3" steel girdle surrounding the bottom end. But to answer your question, yes, the shape and size of the engine is the same as a GEP 6.5.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, why wouldn't my original direct-drive 6.2 starter work? My P400 block appears to have the threaded hole for the starter brace.
Yes your original starter for the 1028 will work with no problem. The Humvee starter uses the motor mount for the brace. Not the block.

Skrilex

Banned
The P400 was designed by GEP for the upfit HMMWV. Forged crank, forged rods with fractured cap technology, forged pistons with ceramic coating, thicker decks, improved water passages, hardened valve inserts, plus a unique 3" steel girdle surrounding the bottom end. But to answer your question, yes, the shape and size of the engine is the same as a GEP 6.5.
Yep they really polished that turd to a dull shine. Like, jumbo pack of bandaids lol. But I’d argue that gep didn’t design it, they just improved it, a lot. Detroit designed it.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everybody for the opinions. I am leaning towards completely rebuilding/installing my original 1984 Delco 24v direct drive starter. I have come to the conclusion that a HMMWV starter will be too big and heavy, and the modern gear reduction units are made in China. My original Delco is robust and American made.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks