• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New deuce, need a little info... Possible treat

MudMarine

So we just bought a deuce that looks like it was an Airforce version with the dual brake system mod. Do all M35's have two brake airpacks? Well this one has a line coming from the passenger air pack, up into the engine bay by the air cleaner that is not hooked up to anything. Any idea what should be here?

Also in the barn next to this truck is a 1971 M35(?) 5 ton wrecker. Bigger motor and a stick shift. It has some issues, possible brake leak, lift cylinder leak, weird thunking sound from behind the dash after in ran for a few minutes, enough to build air pressure. It was a loud metallic click about once per second. Cracked driver and passenger door class, otherwise seemed to run great.

I'm going to try and post pictures of both.

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That is the vent.

The wrecker is either an m62, m816, or m936.

Could also be an m246 or m819, but those are not as common.

dmetalmiki

The 'click' you hear if somewhat regular, and after air pressure builds up, could be a faulty Unloader valve. That is mounted on the firewall in the engine ompartment.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So we just bought a deuce that looks like it was an Airforce version with the dual brake system mod. Do all M35's have two brake airpacks? Well this one has a line coming from the passenger air pack, up into the engine bay by the air cleaner that is not hooked up to anything. Any idea what should be here?
The only M44A2 series trucks with dual circuit brakes are the 1987-1989 USAF contract trucks. They have 87K, 88K or 89K USAF registration numbers and their VINs begin with either 1040, 1041, 1050 or 1051.

I'll have to look at mine tomorrow. Somebody remind me.

There is a TM related to the dual circuit brake system. It's the SMARPI manual and it's in our TM section, available for free download.

fasttruck

As stated post 3 it is the vent from the hydrovac to the atmosphere via the air plenum. Transmission and transfer case probably also vented same way. This was part of the military's provision for deep water fording capabilities. Vents on axles are also military specific to keep water out

MudMarine

Woo! What a busy week! So we bought the M35 but waved off on the wrecker. The owner is asking 8,500 and hasn't listed it yet. Shoot me DMs if your interested and I'll pass off his contact info. Stupidly, I did not take a picture of the data plates.
IMG_20181021_122405997.jpgIMG_20181021_122307865.jpgIMG_20181021_122553270 (1).jpg

The M35 we bought has an 88k in the SERNO and I honestly figured it was overhauled in 1988 not manufactured then. We did download the dual brake TM but I couldn't find this line when looking at it on my phone. (didn't have my laptop available). We ended up capping this line which allowed the brakes to build enough pressure for us to feel comfortable driving it. I'm still curious though, if its a vent line then how come it was shooting fluid when the brake pedal was depressed with the truck off?
IMG_20181021_115500012_HDR.jpgIMG_20181021_115450744 (1).jpg

My phone wouldn't let me use the paper clip attach function, seems like the error was on my end. Now here's the money shots! This truck turned out to be a great purchase and I'm excited to have it!

00b0b_h2xhbkwuCfX_600x450.jpg00k0k_dHsxNlapHAH_600x450.jpg00o0o_klQfnoK11Sk_600x450.jpg00z0z_lEEFhXFyWJR_600x450.jpg00505_6kHAhezBvHT_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks