• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bob or not to Bob 5Ton

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say don't do it. You'll lose 1/3 of your traction and maybe 3000 lbs also but that may not improve your mileage like one would think. I personally like the 6x6 truck. Every guy and his dog has a big 4x4 around here but not many have a 6x6. A big M715 would make a cool military 4x4 if that's what you're after.

I wanted a reason that would sway me to 4x4 but I like the 6x6, I planned on doing a crew cab on a m52 bc I also am going multifuel. I'm a Fab/welder for cat so design isn't going to be a problem. If there are no gains them I'm good.

tobyS

Bobbing is technically cutting the frame shorter. I'd use a M931 and not cut it. Then you have a really nice pintle hitch ready to go + air brake control for a trailer. M105 beds look good on them. I do like the 4x4, reducing weight, drag and cost of 2 tires. And the 5 ton can cruise at highway speed. Air ride would be nice too. That said, I've had several 5 ton that it could have been done to and I couldn't pull the trigger. My 4x4 project is an M35A3.

Edit....If I recall, you are working with an early version 5 ton, not the later M939 series....right?

I still like the 4x4 idea....I'm not politically correct however.

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Plenty of trucks are already bobbed, it’d be better to “rebuild” a bobbed truck than cut up another.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another vote not to neuter here! After seeing how well 6x6 does off road, I think I’ll still have 6 tires on the ground when the Bob’s are up on 2 or 3.

azteclizard

The M52 is already shorter, so technically your nit bobbing it if you just convert it to 2 axles. If you are going to make it some sort of quad cab you will never need the full weight capacity, so removing an axle isnt all bad. Just use decent springs(not trailer springs) and all will be fine.

It is after all your truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some nice examples of 5-ton crew cabs on the site. DaveP has a nice tractor with sleeper with a trailer behind it (I think it is an M54 long frame to make room for the sleeper and still keep the fifth wheel.

Bob or not, it all depends on what you want to do/achieve with the truck, it's your toy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks