• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shocked by CUCV battery hold down bracket

Gunfreak25

I was just replacing some fuel return lines on the 6.2, passenger side. Wet salty shirt and skin, leaned over enough to get a nice little buzz on my arm and chest when I came in contact with the battery hold down bolts. Not the posts themselves. Curious as to how I could be feeling voltage from the battery hold down hardware?

Truck is wired correctly, obviously. Good solid grounds (using new 2 gauge cables).

Keith_J

Thin skin in the area you were shocked? 12 volts is enough, 24 will definitely get your attention. Fingers and palms have very thick skin, your soft underbelly ;) and especially your tongue will notice 12 volts.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you were lightly shocked by the mounts themselves and not the battery post, you definitely have issues somewhere.
That is not normal.

Will a voltmeter read anything?

No charging or light issues?

Gunfreak25

Yes it was by the mounts. No charge issues, lights extinguish normally.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
The battery hold down bolt is supposed to have positive voltage on it? I don't think so. If what I read in the first post is right, he said that he got shocked on the battery hold down bolt. If in fact it was the battery post, your right. Nothing to worry about. But not hardware.

I would measure for DC voltage, from the hold down bolt to the negative post on the battery. You should get nothing, Nada. The bolt should be the same as ground. In fact, if you switch the meter to ohms, and read from the bolt to any clean metal surface, it should read continuity.

How could the bolt be "hot" with 24 volts? Several ways. A wire could be pinched between the bolt, and battery. If the hold down bolt is not making good contact to ground, then it would be hot. I can think of at least one other way. I find it very hard to believe, but it COULD be so. Its easy to disprove, simply measure. I tend to believe you brushed the post, and didn't notice it. And yes, the skin of your are will conduct voltage, as the resistance is much lower there then your hands.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What am I checking for?

Put your multimeter in ohms and connect the black lead to something metal, then touch the negative terminal on the front battery with the red lead. The meter should indicate zero-ish ohms. If it's an analog meter the needle will swing swiftly to the other side and hold on or very near zero.

Now you know you have a reliable ground.

Without disconnecting the black lead that is still connected to the bare metal, switch your multimeter to volts DC. Then touch the red lead to the battery hold down bolt you believe zapped you. Report back what the meter reading is.

MarcusOReallyus

Check for voltage BEFORE doing a continuity test. IF there is voltage there, you could fry a meter. At best, you'll get incorrect readings.

But I agree with Guyfang. This was probably just an ooops moment. Contact with the terminal AND the posts without realizing it. Zap. I have gotten zapped enough to be unpleasant from 12v on a sweaty summer day when I got my palm grounded and 12v on the back of my hand.

Gunfreak25

Put your multimeter in ohms and connect the black lead to something metal, then touch the negative terminal on the front battery with the red lead. The meter should indicate zero-ish ohms. If it's an analog meter the needle will swing swiftly to the other side and hold on or very near zero.

Now you know you have a reliable ground.

Without disconnecting the black lead that is still connected to the bare metal, switch your multimeter to volts DC. Then touch the red lead to the battery hold down bolt you believe zapped you. Report back what the meter reading is.
Zero ish ohms and then zero volts when switched to DC. So I must've hit the battery post while touching the hold down bolt with the hair on my chinny chin chin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks