• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog Tires 20" rims. 12.5 r20

Speedwoble

I haven’t heard of anyone trying. Based on the 406’s, I think they are unlikely to fit without a cab lift. I have seen pictures of a 406 with 395’s and that required a cab lift and step relocation. As I recall, the 395’s are 46” tall. There is a member on here with 365/80 which are 42”tall. It is said to avoid 365/85 as they are heavier and prefer a narrower rim.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
An 11R20 will mount on the wheel. They are 42s and rub a good bit. 14.5R20s will as well.

Pinsandpitons

Ok, another tire question. I spoke to Idaho Motorpool about the Goodyear G272. They said they have run those on a few flu419s and they defiantly drive better but rub just a bit at full lock. My question is has anyone else here run the G272 (12.00r20 size) on a 406 or 419 and what did you think? Also why is a 12.00R20 G272 taller than a 12.5R20 XL. It seams like all the 12.00R20 tires I look at are taller than the 12.50's doesn't make sense to me.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They are 44.7in tall g272s in 12R20. Your 12.5R20 are measured differently being they are metric for 335 85 20.

Migginsbros

Our 12.5 R20 Pirelli Pista´s are round about 40" dia. on the SEE 419.
We have 14.5 in stock but we are emberassed about the additional height of the truck because the center of gravity. The centrifugal forces with this
backup excarvator you have to consider. And they build more and more Trafic circles in our area.

kira2235740

So what do you suggest for mainly off road tires, limited time on road. I have been looking at Michelin XZL and Continental MPT 81, is there another company out there, or is there a tire that you would suggest? Thanks, also if anyone has a spare rim for a flu 419 that they have no need for, I am in need of a spare rim. Thanks for your time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what do you suggest for mainly off road tires, limited time on road. I have been looking at Michelin XZL and Continental MPT 81, is there another company out there, or is there a tire that you would suggest? ............
I believe the MPT80 would be better suited for your needs. Personally, I've had excellent results with that tire, although mine are 14.5s

Speedwoble

I have a spare rim. But shipping from PA may be prohibitive.

I just purchased 6 Michelin 14.5R20's from Eastern Surplus. Will post results once I get them on.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what do you suggest for mainly off road tires, limited time on road. I have been looking at Michelin XZL and Continental MPT 81, is there another company out there, or is there a tire that you would suggest?
I've had good luck with the Super Swampers on the Winter SEE, and the Pit Bull Rockers on the Summer SEE work really well.

alpine44

I have a spare rim. But shipping from PA may be prohibitive.
I just purchased 6 Michelin 14.5R20's from Eastern Surplus. Will post results once I get them on.
Have you checked the date codes, already?
I have the 14.5R20 XL tires mounted on the original rims since about 1 year. They are much, much sturdier than the original 12.5R20 XL Michelins. I was barely able to mount them with hand tools whereas the old 12.5s came off with very little effort. Even if the 14.5s are a little older, I would not worry about durability. OTOH, the 12.5s are marginal even when new (with the front loader removed, the rears will be overloaded).

Also, the load per square inch on the soil is less with the larger contact patch of the 14.5 tires and my FLU419 does not 'sink' as easily on muddy terrain. Plus you can mount the PEWAG MRAP surplus diamond pattern chains on the 14.5s for a nearly unstoppable combo. Yes, there are better tire profiles out there but at a multiple of the cost for the surplus 14.5R20 XLs (and chains).

Last edited:

alpine44

I'm glad to see that you wrote "nearly".
With the original tires my FlU419 would sink to the axles in soft soil and since the front loader does not curl down enough to 'roll' yourself out it was the backhoe that saved the day.

After mounting the 14.5 tires the 'sinking' is not an issue anymore but the machine would sometimes slide sideways on a slippery slope and get into a precarious position or list.

The PEWAG chains pretty much fixed that by increasing traction in the direction of travel and, more importantly, sideways.

The last time I got stuck I was too ambitious trying to compact the downhill shoulder of a new, steep roadbed and the front wheel went 'off the curb' so to speak. Again, the wimpy loader was only good for stabilizing the dicey situation enough to deploy the backhoe (took load off the front) and then I used chains and a strap around a nearby tree (plenty here in Western North Carolina) to pull the machine back on safe footing with the hoe.

While this sounds like great progress, the grim reality is that the ultimate failure mode is now rolling down a mountainside instead of just being stuck. And when you really bury the fat tires, you quickly find out whether the power steering pump belt is tight enough.

Last edited:

Speedwoble

I have the 14.5R20 XL tires mounted on the original rims since about 1 year. They are much, much sturdier than the original 12.5R20 XL Michelins. I was barely able to mount them with hand tools whereas the old 12.5s came off with very little effort. Even if the 14.5s are a little older, I would not worry about durability. OTOH, the 12.5s are marginal even when new (with the front loader removed, the rears will be overloaded).
Bingo. Even if the 14.5 are a little older, I am not worried. The 12.5 are marginal with the additional weight of the SEE.

I am going to put the 14.5 on my Drum brake rims for extra track width and stability.

Migginsbros

According to my book it schould be about 3 inches at the rim. Offset at one rim is 25mm, offset of the other rim is 100mm.
Can´t find a drum brake rim in my shelf now to check it actually.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks