• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Battery replacements

papakb

I recently replaced the batteries in my M996A1 and after years of using Interstate 6TLs that only lasted about 28 months I decided to go with 24Fs. They are the same height and length as the 6TLs but a couple inches narrower so you can use your old battery hold down bracket with them. They have the same CCA ratings and come with a 3 year replacement that beats the snot out of the Interstates. I changed the routing of the cables to a much simpler path as you can see and you can use a quick disconnect jumper between them as a security measure if you want to. For whatever reason these 24F batteries come in 2 versions called North and South(????). One has flat top fill covers and the other has the old sytle raised fill caps. Look for the flat top batteries. Here's a picture of how this turned out:

Duracell 24F batteries.JPG

Yes, they do fit into the original battery. I put some high density foam alongside the batteries but after several hundred miles of driving I don't see any evidence of the batteries moving. It does add some insulation to the batteries too.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Thanks for the post.
I like the fact that the original style hold down still works.
Are you still using the original lower tray?
What's the difference in pricing if you don't mind me asking?

Wire Fox

I was literally just spending yesterday afternoon looking into battery replacements. If I can't get a secondhand 6TAGM from one of the local salvage yards, I'm very likely to switch to a more common battery, despite wanting to actually run lots of electronics on my HMMWV... I was going to measure fitment for Group 31 batteries, to see if I could get by with a custom tray.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was literally just spending yesterday afternoon looking into battery replacements. If I can't get a secondhand 6TAGM from one of the local salvage yards, I'm very likely to switch to a more common battery, despite wanting to actually run lots of electronics on my HMMWV... I was going to measure fitment for Group 31 batteries, to see if I could get by with a custom tray.
Group 31 will jam in with a little swearing. I had to put put one laterally and one longitudinally, the rear one side-to-side and front one pointing front to back. They are holding up fine after 3 years.

Got them on sale at Advance Auto. Protip: but online and use the discount code, and buy them individually to use the discount twice

BDGR

Wire Fox

Group 31 will jam in with a little swearing. I had to put put one laterally and one longitudinally, the rear one side-to-side and front one pointing front to back. They are holding up fine after 3 years.

Got them on sale at Advance Auto. Protip: but online and use the discount code, and buy them individually to use the discount twice

BDGR
I've got a few more wires in there then the standard configuration, so it's a little tighter for me. 14V lead is coming in off the alternator, plus I have multiple small leads coming in for switched power for the transmission. That does just enough to make the rear portion of the box a little extra concerning for me.

If it does still work out, I'm looking forward to a 700+ CCA battery that still has a 180+ RC and costs less than $150.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone use Odyssey batteries? Solid state, able to discharge and be recharged as also used on motorized wheelchairs.

1200 cranking amps warm, 600 cold.

I have used in other cars but never a Diesel. Never an issue in cars. They cost $$$ but NEVER had a battery issue after installed in my[gasoline] cars.

Thoughts?

T

Wire Fox

Anyone use Odyssey batteries? Solid state, able to discharge and be recharged as also used on motorized wheelchairs.

1200 cranking amps warm, 600 cold.

I have used in other cars but never a Diesel. Never an issue in cars. They cost $$$ but NEVER had a battery issue after installed in my[gasoline] cars.

Thoughts?

T
That brand is the civilian AGM battery arm of EnerSys, which produces the military AGM Hawker batteries. The Odyssey number is PC2250 for a drop-in replacement of a 6T. I haven't used one yet, but they seem to be unanimously declared to be the best 6T battery that money can buy, but it takes a lot of money at about $550 a battery.

Reading through one of the military maintenance manuals on battery care, it looks like the actual minimum spec for a 6TN battery is 600 CCA, so in theory, any SLI-rated battery that produces a minimum of 600 CCA should be able to start a military vehicle that calls for a 6TN battery, with more just being better performance.

tage

Diesels require more cca. That's why you'll see one big battery or two smaller cca batteries. Class 8 trucks will have 4 batteries.

Anyways... Comparing a battery ment for a gasoline car, does not equate to anything in the diesel world. Truly as you say, apples to oranges.

But since we're on the topic of stupid ideas of batteries. We can fill the bed of the truck of batteries, and as long as we wire the series to get 24v and the rest parallel it doesn't matter on the type of battery.

riderdan

I still have the cheap Walmart batteries in mine and need to replace them at some point. I thought about doing it when one went bad last winter, but it was still under warranty and a free battery was better than buying one. My balancer seems to keep them balanced and as long as I plug into my charger periodically (connected through the NATO slave port) they do fine.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the DEKA 6TMF batteries? They're a 6TL format, ~$250, and 1225 CCA.

Wire Fox

Well, I officially bought the 6TL batteries from NAPA. They have a promo going on right now to get 20% off if you buy any 3 items online and then pickup in store...I threw in a coolant tank cap for $6 to knock $88 off the price of the batteries. The batteries and coolant cap together after discount and tax is about $460. But, I'll receive back $72 for the core of my two existing batteries when I turn those in, plus I'll get a $20 NAPA gift card due to all the reward points this purchase will throw at me.

All-said, it will be as if they were purchased at $184 a battery with a 30 month warranty, which is one of the better options out there.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I officially bought the 6TL batteries from NAPA. They have a promo going on right now to get 20% off if you buy any 3 items online and then pickup in store...I threw in a coolant tank cap for $6 to knock $88 off the price of the batteries. The batteries and coolant cap together after discount and tax is about $460. But, I'll receive back $72 for the core of my two existing batteries when I turn those in, plus I'll get a $20 NAPA gift card due to all the reward points this purchase will throw at me.
All-said, it will be as if they were purchased at $184 a battery with a 30 month warranty, which is one of the better options out there.
Same here, i use the napa 6tl's as replacements in almost all of my vehicles, when batteries won't come back. You can get them abut $170 when they are on sale. Just simpler than trying to move cables and mountings around. If you use group 31's( I do in my M1009) Look for a Batteries Plus store around you, they are $99, no core

Last edited:

tage

Well hate to cog your drain.
Exide is a battery supplier for the military 6tl, happens to be an anomalies that you can buy the exide 24F at home depot for 100 dollars. 40 month warranty

JoeJrTheBarber

Swapped my stock / old bateries in my M998 to two Optima Red Tops and thing starts up like never before.
In all the years I have been driving and all the vehicles I have owned I have always ran Red top batteries and never once had a failure.

kc5mzd

I have had 2 $50.00 free install Wal Mart batteries for a couple of years now and they are still working great.

Wire Fox

Those 24 group batteries are great for starting and will save a ton of cash. I just really need to keep the reserve capacity for running an inverter, radios, and a field sink. Since the much cheaper 31 group batteries aren't quite able to fit without that bit of modification, keeping to the 6TLs is the only good way to have a large RC, still be able to start, and not modify the battery box. Everything has it's pros and cons.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What civilian battery works in the Humvee?
Are you asking what sizes, what amperages, what brands, what best fits, what works most like a military spec?

There are several posts recently, including one regarding a battery that can be ordered from a popular auto chain.

Personally I prefer Odyssey batteries, a dry lead battery that is small with a huge CCA available in multiple sizes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks