• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An interesting article

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Link works when copied into browser and putting "http" in front.

Nice pic, good read, recollections (some inaccurate) from someone who used to own a Deuce.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
One of the worst things about the internet is how it's democratized opinion.

Prior to the internet, if you wanted to post your opinion about anything - presidential candidates, dogcatcher candidates, the merits of a local restaurant or vintage vehicles - you had to find a magazine that would take you as a guest contributor or would publish your letter to the editor. It meant there were gatekeepers that would edit or deny your article if it was BS, if it were inaccurate, etc. People with formal training in the field of publishing looked at submissions and judged if they were acceptable to be released to the world. Companies that produced books about vehicles-whether the subject is vintage Porsches or army trucks didn't want to publish books with lots of inaccuracies because it would reflect poorly on their company and might reduce future sales.

Now, with the internet, that's all gone. All you need to do is have an opinion. I know virtually nothing about vintage Ferraris, but there's nothing stopping me from creating a website where I discuss the vehicles and their values. NOTHING stops me from doing this.

There is another problem with writing about things- inevitably, it becomes about money.

For instance................ car magazines, whether it's Musclecar Review or Hot Rod or whatever, exist to sell advertising. They do not exist to inform or entertain their readers. They exist to sell ads - and sell more of those ads for more money. And the way they do this is to tell people what they want to hear. How many of you have heard someone say "Old cars were so much better, you didn't need all these special tools to work on them". That's BS and I think I have a decent view of this, since I do restoration work for a living. I have at least $30K in tools so I'm gonna' have to disagree.

But............ you're going to get more readers if you tell them what they want to hear, versus telling them if they want to restore a '66 Mustang, they're going to need to outlay $30K in tools and $75K for a 30x40 building.

So as people create blogs, websites and YouTube channels, it might be about their passion initially, even if they're not the most informed about their topic, but eventually as they begin getting readers or clicks, the revenue becomes a possibility or a demand and now, they aren't generating media for the purposes of passion about the topic, they're generating media for profit and there's always going to be this drive to sort of give people what they want to hear or watch.

I read an interview with Mike Wallace years ago, and he said the worst thing that ever happened to 60 Minutes was that it turned a profit. He said prior to that, the bosses at the network considered the news a "loss leader" and didn't expect it to make money, so they basically got a budget and a mild warning about "not pissing off the sponsors too much" (i.e. if GM was buying 5 million bucks worth of commercial space, don't hammer them too much). But one year, 60 Minutes made a little money and all of sudden, Wallace said all this pressure starting come down from the top floor to monetize 60 Minutes more.

And..............................

Another thing you run into is "conventional wisdom". You won't read any article about antique cars in the 21st century that doesn't go over and over the same trope that's in every other article.

They were gorgeous and they represent freedom but they weren't as fast as we remember them being, they don't stop, they won't turn, etc., etc. Some of these things are true, but they've been repeated so many times that it's become such a dominant narrative that even a housewife who knows nothing about antique cars will know they have a reputation for crappy brakes.

And in our hobby, I think that also applies. You rear any article about the older air assisted hydraulic brake equipped 6x6s and it'll talk about the crappy brakes and that's crap. They have great brakes. People think they have crappy brakes because most of the owners are cheapskates, running on old worn out airpacks, brakes that are not adjusted or adjusted incorrectly, etc. But this has become such a dominant narrative that it's almost become the conventional wisdom.

And this article has so many of the things that I've discussed above, it's like a turkey shoot of lack-of-knowledge and conventional wisdom.

Literally, almost every sentence tells you the writer is a liar (bought for $300) or a complete automotive novice (the engine had a mountain of torque to push the rockwell axles).

And somebody likes me reads the first paragraph and realizes it's all BS and there's nothing of value and I move on. But a newb is going to read it and soak it all up and unless they're in the hobby deep and long enough to learn all the stuff that's wrong, they're going to repeat it to others and that's how all the BS inaccuracies follow these vehicles for decades (how many idiots have you heard talking about USMC deuces having lockers?).

It's a shame.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"....but they takes maintenance to keep them from murdering people on the road."

Well, no kidding! (In my mind that was said in Gunnery Sergeant Hartman's voice, using different words). So does every other vehicle on the road (not that they get it).

Cheers

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On ebay is where you'll find people trying to get 5000$ out of them, they are looking for suckers and trying to get a quick buck on a cheap purchase. Maybe the inventory is more depleted now than it was a few years ago when I got mine, since you now are seeing the newer trucks out there, but these vehicles are not worth more than 3500$ in perfect condition imo. And they are rarely in perfect condition when you haul them off a base. There's a bit of luck involved, but the starting bid from most DMRS contractors is about 25$ or so, if nobody else bids, that's what it goes for. Most people don't want to go to the military base it's stored at and inspect it.Besides, you can see more modern trucks with much better engines, such as the 90's model 5 tons for less than 5000$, let alone a deuce and half for that cost.
There's a pretty good chance that any non-running truck has a hole in the engine block. If you over speed the engine the cast iron crank shaft likes to break and send rods through the side of the block. You can get engines for fairly cheap, so it's just the hassle of putting them in.
The scrap value of these vehicles is nil. They are made of really low quality steel, many core parts are just straight up iron. The tires are junk, the engines are inefficient, about the only value is taking the good parts off and selling them to someone who needs them, but you can get NOS for cheap anyways.
I can assure you I paid 300$ for my truck from the airforce, and gave it some TLC, and paid 172$ for my trailer. Your tax dollars at work. Now transporting it? That's expensive, even if you get a driving truck, it's 7-10 mpg at best.
Prices of course vary by number of people interested, location of the base selling it, surplus contractor, and planetary allignment. Probably shouldn't have quoted prices because of the volatility of the market, and time since I've been into them. However, I will say you should be able to get at least two running deuce and a half's with all the acessories for the price of one used toyota tacoma. And probably ten non running M 35 trucks.
They are really are terrible vehicles, no matter how awesome.
I'm not buying that he paid $300 for a complete deuce from GL. I'll admit, I've seen some runners bring $600-$700 in the deuce hay day, but I've never seen a complete deuce go for $300. I do believe a M105 bringing $172, I've bought several of them for $150 each.

I don't know where he get's that "cheap steel" comment from. I don't know the metallurgy of deuce steel, but one would assume it was a good as any for the era. Besides, when you take scrap to the scrap yard, they don't have different prices for "cheap steel" vs "expensive steel", all steel is the same price.

Why on earth somebody would go to so much trouble to bash a deuce is beyond me. Sounds like somebody that grew up driving a Honda, and has no idea about any older trucks. The deuce is far below any driver comforts, maintenance needs, or safety of modern vehicles, but is comparable to civilian vehicles of the same era. I find it somewhat comical that people are surprised that their deuce isn't as easy to deal with as their 2018 F150.

russojap

M16ty, that $300 part confused me too so I reread it and he actually bought his truck on eBay. So I don't understand why he didn't get what I would assume to be a cheaper $300 one from GL. I also don't understand why he says the deuce has no shocks, mine does.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks