• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch wire rope protectant

rtadams89

Wasn't sure where to post this, but this seemed like the best forum. What's the best way to protect plain, fiber core wire rope (like used on MV winches)? Primarily looking to protect from rust, but also don't want to attract/retain dirt, and want to keep the fiber core conditioned. I've heard of everything from homemade ATF+oil mixes to generic spray on rust inhibitors. Any recommendations?

fasttruck

Check applicable vehicle LO. Most call for OE10. Wind winch cable up neatly. Place absorbent pad under winch. Pour oil over capstan and will soak into wick in winch cable. I have unwound winch cables a year after doing this and found center still soaked in oil.

fasttruck

Reference above: GAA is frowned upon as it attracts grit which will abrade the cable. Vehicle TM includes preservation procedures for vehicles to be stored and some type of cosmoline is authorized if the vehicle is entering storage. This is supposed to cleaned off when the vehicle is returned to service.

rtadams89

The LO calls for soaking with OE/HDO MIL-L-2104 and coating with CW VV-L-751. If I'm not mistaken, OE/HDO MIL-L-2104 is basically SAE grade 30 engine oil and VV-L-751 has been superseded by MIL-PRF-18458 which most commercial "wire rope lubricants" seem to meet.

I'm sure drenching the cable in engine oil works, but I have to imagine this choice was made with a multitude of factors in mind (like what is available in a combat zone) so I'm curious if given the luxury of not being in a war zone and having access to basically any lubricant out there, if their aren't better options now.

matt444

I have had good luck with chain and cable lube available at any auto parts store in the aerosol cans, will need to use multiple cans
But you will need re clean and lube cable if gets in the mud. Which shouldn't be an issue in AZ.
cable will still collect dust but not bad and wont drip like coating it in engine oil

dmetalmiki

I have always serviced the winch ropes with OMD 110 A military medium grade engine oil. They are all still in perfect condition, and have (All) been used in 'anger' occasionally.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
On fiber core cable, a light weight lube MUST be used, the cable should be going over a sheave (pulley) WITHOUT a load so the cable opens up, allowing the lube to TOTALLY SOAK the core, the cable is lubed correctly when lube shows outside of the cable under load, it is VERY important to KEEP the core lubed other wise MOISTER will get into to the hemp core which WILL rot the hemp AND cause the cable to RUST from the inside out, these issues in turn WILL create a VERY DEADLY CABLE.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
With steel core, a very slippy, sticky, rust prevention, penetration lube is needed so the wires WILL SLIDE on each other, wire core needs about 1/4 the times lubed as fiber core for the same amount of usage, fiber core uses a fiber core FRIENDLY, slippy, rust protection, very thin liquid (should be for filling the core), the core HAS TO BE KEPT wet other whys dampness will invade the core which WILL lead to a VERY DEADLY CABLE, unlike a properly lubed steel core cable that can set in the weather for quite a bit, fiber core CAN NOT, even fully lubed, the dampness WILL drive the lube from the core over time, about the only way to deal with the issue is to lube the cable so the core is full of lube on a as needed basses.

Do not use canvas or plastic covers on the wench which look a LOT better UNcovered :D or a winch due to holding moister and NOT allowing the cable to breath, rust is the end result, fiber core is not happy with the cover either

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks