• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many colors has your brush guard been...

riderdan

Yesterday I started a project that I've meant to do since I bought the truck: repainting the brush guard. It was black and the paint was pretty bad, with rust and a good number of layers of paint that were flaking.

So I dragged out my rotary sanding tool and started to sand. There were at least three layers of black paint, which I'd expected. Under these was a layer of green, probably from when the NG had it just prior to it being sold. Under that layer of green was a layer of tan, likely from the GWOT period when everything got sprayed tan even in temperate theaters. Under the tan was another layer of green, probably the original. Under that was the primer and then metal.

I forgot to take a picture, but it amused me quite a bit to think of the many paint jobs this thing has gone through. I suppose I could have just sprayed another layer of black, but the thickness of the paint and the thickness of the metal were approaching parity.

rcamacho

Yesterday I started a project that I've meant to do since I bought the truck: repainting the brush guard. It was black and the paint was pretty bad, with rust and a good number of layers of paint that were flaking.

So I dragged out my rotary sanding tool and started to sand. There were at least three layers of black paint, which I'd expected. Under these was a layer of green, probably from when the NG had it just prior to it being sold. Under that layer of green was a layer of tan, likely from the GWOT period when everything got sprayed tan even in temperate theaters. Under the tan was another layer of green, probably the original. Under that was the primer and then metal.

I forgot to take a picture, but it amused me quite a bit to think of the many paint jobs this thing has gone through. I suppose I could have just sprayed another layer of black, but the thickness of the paint and the thickness of the metal were approaching parity.
What did you use to protect yourself sanding CARC? Respirator and face shield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to hear at least it had primer. I have seen so many things and trucks with the carc just peeling away and nothing to prep or prime underneath, just paint sprayed on bare metal.

riderdan

The tan wasn't introduced as first color until later. these vehicles were meant for the Cold War, not OIF/GWOT.
Yeah, in the PGW a lot of our trucks weren't ever painted tan. They were green when they went on the planes, green when we landed, green during the drive to Iraq, and green when we shipped back stateside. Funny thing is before we left Bragg we were issued the chocolate chip camo uniforms that we then proceeded to wear inside the dusty green trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks