• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leakages on the underside

This MB I am looking at, has some oil leakages on the underside of the vehicle. I have posted some pix here. Would be much helpful if you let me know how bad it could be and what may be required to fix it. Thanks guys!

Anith
Rome, Italy.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am in process of dealing with a lot of those issues on '42 GPW.

There are of places where the vehicles commonly leak, but on that one, I'd give it a good bath and then drive it a little. When there are fluids everywhere, it's hard to tell what the source of the leak is.

Before going any farther, I'd recommend getting it in the air (wrecker, lift, ramps, etc.) and soaking it in degreaser and washing it off. This is a friend's M38 that leaked from everywhere.

20170827_160909.jpg20170827_160920.jpg20170827_160940.jpg

Once it's clean, take it on a short test drive, then come back and re-inspect. The sources of the leaks should be a lot more obvious.

On the first shot, I'd say that's an oil pan gasket and either the timing cover or the oil return line from the oil filter to the timing cover. But there's oil coming down the side of the block as well, so perhaps the fuel pump.

If you're going to do the oil pan gasket, do a rear main seal at the same time, they frequently leak. The only rear main seal on the market that is neoprene and works is the one from Midwest Military. Don't use any other.

20180815_155306.jpg20180815_155310.jpg20180815_160031.jpg20180815_195604.jpg20180816_215133.jpg20180819_200457.jpg20180819_200516.jpg20180820_141143.jpg

Use a good gasket (I ended up using a rubber seal versus the cork pictured), make sure the pan flange is straight (don't overtighten it, flatten it with a metalworking hammer if it's distorted), use a good gasket maker, let it cure for 24 hours, then cut the excess off with a straight razor and touch up the paint.

For the transfer, they frequently leak from the output shafts, seals were out and the flanges get wear grooves in them. Machine them down and use a seal with a corresponding smaller inner diameter, get a sleeve etc. The grease is being slung off the u-joint, but you will need to clean it and drive it to see where else it's leaking.

Transmission is hard to tell. They all seem to leak out of the front seal.

Last picture is also hard to tell, because it's wet from everywhere. But I definitely think some of that is coming from the transfer fill plug.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The 'leaks' on that Jeep are far less than any Jeep I ever owned, (And) driven often, On and off road.
It's a challenge to get antiques not to leak. Modern vehicles are multitudes better in that regard. I have a 90K mile car that doesn't leak a drop. My '68 Road Runner probably had a dozen leaks when it was 6 months old.

However................ you can get there.

No plastic on the red car. Jeep isn't empty, either.
20181015_174637.jpg
20181009_173709.jpg

20170708_175405.jpg20170708_175421.jpg

ez8

If it's sweating oil I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a constant drip of oil when it's sitting there and it's leaving puddles you'd need to check it out. Like others have said modern vehicles are put together different than the old stuff. It's why the lube orders for these jeeps is usually in weekly or daily time intervals. Depending on how much you're going to drive the thing it may or may not be a problem.

My M37 and my M274 both sweat oil out the gearboxes after a good use. I just make sure they are topped off once a year and I haven't had a problem yet.

CMPPhil

Alternative approach -
" For the transfer, they frequently leak from the output shafts, seals were out and the flanges get wear grooves in them. Machine them down and use a seal with a corresponding smaller inner diameter, get a sleeve etc. The grease is being slung off the u-joint, but you will need to clean it and drive it to see where else it's leaking. "

I have had very good luck using Speedisleeve(s) on input and output shafts, they provide a smooth hard new wear surface because of their thinness they can be used with stock size seals. Using stock seals also makes future work less frustrating.

As to MBs or most vehicles of this period they leak oil, and gear lube. You may get them to stop for a while but if you drive them they will start leaking again. I've only heard of one MB that was a trailer queen prize winner that did not leak. After winning many 1st place awards it came out that it didn't leak because only the engine had oil in it everything else had grease.

Drive enjoy and check the fluid levels regularly.

Cheers Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks