• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M808/ m818

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The predecessors were the m52 (6602 gas engine), m52a1 (673 Mack), and the m52a2 (multifuel). The replacements to the m818 were the m931/m932 along with the a1 and a2 versions which had either the 250 cummins or 8.3 cummins.
None of them had jake brakes from the factory. People have added them to the same series of trucks as the m818 so it can be done. You'll need to add a bumped up section to the hood for clearance.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Canadian versions of the M809 series had the Jake brakes. They also had the scoop added to the hood to cleance to jakes. I'm not sure, but I think you can add jakes to the 4 rear cylinders and still clear the hood. There are some threads on the subject.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And you can add brakes to an auto trans equipped truck too. you just need a switch in a lock up port.

1lineman1

thank you for the responses ! Evil Dr. Porkchop thats exactly what i was looking for . Just to clarify when you guys refer to being able to add " jake brake" thats a legit Jake correct... shuts exhaust valves or an exhaust brake.. closes off exhaust. Thanks again for the schooling !!

Iceman3005

Other option is an exhaust brake, works on a similar principle as the jake brake. It is installed after the exhaust manifold with no turbo, or right after turbo if the truck has one. Advantage is that it takes up very little room, but they are quite a bit louder.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hammer

Be careful with exhaust brakes on older motors. They can easily create more back pressure than the exhaust valve springs can hold and actually open the exhaust valves. Not good!
They are simple and do work good. Not nearly as good as the Jakes on the heads though.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful with exhaust brakes on older motors. They can easily create more back pressure than the exhaust valve springs can hold and actually open the exhaust valves. Not good!
They are simple and do work good. Not nearly as good as the Jakes on the heads though.
The exhaust brakes are rpm dependant. Jake's are quite a bit better.

That said, I have an exhaust brake on my diesel pickup and like it a lot.

Hammer

Oh, I like the exhaust brakes a lot as well. I have had them on a couple pickups so far.
Really help warm up a motor, or keep it from running too cold when it's really cold outside.

Heck, some of the old 10 tons with the big V8 cummins had an exhaust brake (to slow it down for shifting mainly.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks