• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm 16, just bought a Deuce and a Half!

Skinner

Like the title says I’m 16 years old and have been looking at these trucks for a few years. Finally saved up for a good one out in Louisiana. I purchased a 1971 AM General M35A2 for 10 grand. The truck has come equipped with a power steering kit, the stock winch, and 46” Super singles. This truck is badass! Super happy to be a part of you guys now and I’m looking forward to giving updates on my journey to Colorado as well as any questions. Trip has been good so far just pushed into New Mexico and going to Albuquerque by tonight. I’ve been dealing with some leaks on it such as huge amounts of Anti freeze leaking out put about 3 gallons in it so far. Also have an oil leak over the turbo where it drips onto the exterior of the turbo and smokes up the whole cab, I rigged up a funnel to keep that oil away using a soda can. As for other issues the deuce seems really weak, only seems like this when climbing grades (not even huge ones just simple hills) this I believe is caused by fuel filters that I’m going to have to check out when I get home I mean I’m pushing 30 up tiny hills in 3rd, I’ll post some
pictures as well.

Deuce2.PNGDeuce1.PNGDeuce3.PNGDeuce4.PNG

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Fuel filters would be a good start. but remember the deuce is a slow truck. even a slight incline you can't see you will feel easily. Especially with those big tires on it. It will really bog it down.

Good luck.

dmetalmiki

Well done you, And welcome to the site, hobby, friendships advice and support to come. And of course the events you WILL be attending.
Ya' see folks there IS ( Nice to see), young ones coming to the fore..
You seem to have a promisingly level head, (And so),
I repeat well done you, And,
May you therefore be happy, lucky,and Successful, In ALL you seek and do.

AZDeuce

Congratulations on your M35A2, Have a safe trip, check your brake fluid before you get into the mountains. There's lot's of places for coolant to leak from try to find it and fix it if you can. I had the Super Single 395s on my truck, in the hills I found it was necessary to drop the transfercase into LOW, yes, you can do it on the move, shift down a gear or two (just watch those RPMS) If you want that engine to last a long time, keep it at 2500 RPMS as much as possible, an occasional burst to 2700 RPMS is OK, but I wouldn't keep it there long. I had my truck 11 years and never had any engine problems except normal maintenance. Have fun, Stay Safe!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard :-D
Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway:driver:

Congratz on that new-to-you truck! Looks and sounds like you've got a winner. With some TLC and some PM's i hand you'll have her inspection-ready in no time.

Praying a successful recovery mission completion!

Keep us posted please.

Skinner

Made it hom safe to my hometown Pagosa Springs! Did havee some issues and definitely needs some tlc, I was towing about 13 of those stock tires and wheels in the trailer, we were able to sell that in Chama and made the deuce stop a lot better and a bit peppeier, the thing over heats like a bitch going over small hills it’s very odd, Im thinking this may be cause by a combination of things, for one our radiator cap isn’t very tight going to order a new one soon, as well as our brand new batteries aren’t charging. This would cause my fuel pump to undervolt and freak out a bit right? Not enough through put could mess with the internal pressures and screw with the cooling? Anyway we also seemed to have weird bursts of power. Coming up through Santa Fe in the mountains the deuce amazed me it was pulling those steep grades in 5th while gaining speed but just yesterday it was going up mesily hills chugging along in 3rd. Again need to change filters and could also be caused by the voltage dropping. But looking forward to fixing the beast up! Thanks for all the awesome replies and tips!

71DeuceAK

Welcome from another 20 year old 5 ton owner! I haven't picked it up yet, but I bought an M928A1 in August. It is the first vehicle I have ever owned myself.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Good Luck and be patient with the Big Iron.

Take your time and do the simple things first, reading manuals first, then fluids and leak prevention. A lot of helpful tips, and try to educate yourself a little and research manuals and the archives as much as you can to help understand the maintenance involved.

Be confident that you can always ask questions for help but part of the Fun for me and my Friends is looking at the engineering involved, and how we are going to change out large components or just change out an axle seal, not so easy or simple.

Welcome and if your blood happens to change color don't panic, ODGreen or Sandstorm will still beat in your Heart.

Day Tripper

Wow, only 16 and to have a M35A2, especially a very nice one at that. Hope you enjoyed your ride and had a safe return home with no major issues. Welcome to SS.

Keith_J

Check the vent on the underside of the fuel filler cap. It should be open when running. Thermostats fail and they can fail soft, meaning they don't open fully. This can cause overheating on climbs yet function normally on light loads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks