• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce oil level question

russojap

Before I changed the oil the level on the dipstick was about 1/2" over the full line. After draining the oil and replacing the filters I added 5 gallons of oil and the level showed to be low by around 2 quarts I think. However, I wanted to run the engine first to not risk overfilling it.

Now the level reads back where it was before I changed the oil. How could the oil level have increased? It seems more likely it should have actually DECREASED after being circulated through the engine and new filters. Or am I waiting too long after running the engine to check the oil level? I thought the engine is supposed to take 5.5 gallons, how can it be over filled with only 5 gallons? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Never mind, thanks to Kevin I now understand that I didn't allow enough time for the new oil to flow into the oil pan, so the initial reading was inaccurate.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

When the vehicle 'stands' for any length of time the (Ridiculously! Designed) filters( Ensuring NO oil for quite a while on start up) drain out raising the oil level in the sump.
Thus, When checking the oil level, Run the engine for a minute and check the oil level again, whereat it should (Will) be at the correct level.
As an aside, Is why I fit a pre prime oil pump to all my M series trucks.
I then have full oil pressure at start up.

Last edited:

crzyxj

So I ordered a spin on filter kit here off the board. I would assume that I will have oil pressure faster because modern oil filters retain the oil. Would that be correct?

When my M52a2 had a Multi fuel adding the spin on filters where great no more guessing on how much oil was still in the filters .

The filters stayed full and the dip stick checked the oil level in the pan.

rustystud

So I ordered a spin on filter kit here off the board. I would assume that I will have oil pressure faster because modern oil filters retain the oil. Would that be correct?
Yes. The new style filters usually have a "check valve" in them preventing drain-back. I have "full" oil pressure in under 2 seconds now. That's setting for a week.

dmetalmiki

Yes, Not as good (or as high a starting pressure as with a pump), But Much better than 'the (Scary) no oil pressure for a 'week'" saga.

rustystud

Yes, Not as good (or as high a starting pressure as with a pump), But Much better than 'the (Scary) no oil pressure for a 'week'" saga.
I thought about adding a pre-start "pressurized oil system" but the cost was pretty high. So by adding the spin-on oil filters I got a pretty good system going now. It's not perfect, but it serves for now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks