• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any pictures or information on the Dodge XM195?

CGarbee

That's from BillW's webshots collection.... Photos are from APG (that particular Dodge varient lost out to the Kaiser 5/4 ton I believe) so David Doyle might have some info on it since he seams to be able to come up with a lot of interesting stuff from APG for his verious articles (and general info sharing... ).

I always liked the lines of that Dodge, reminds me of a cross between a Land Rover and my M37's... :)

AVLJeeper

Thanks for the reply! I like the truck for the same reason: Land Rover/M37 looks. It would be like having a Land Rover with more personality and bigger tires too!

Does Mr.Doyle frequent this forum or would there be a better way to contact him?

Karl,

Fred Crismons U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles has a couple good pictures of the XM195, including the recoilless rifle version. According to his research, and that done by John Zentmyer, there were only 3 trucks built as a lighter, quicker version of the M37. (I like to compare it to the original Blazer to a Chevy pickup) It was reported that one was found in NJ in the late 1980's and it may be somewhere on the west coast now. Rumor had it in California, then someone spotted it on a trailer headed toward Washington.

I'd love to see one fabbed up!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Found another pic

Reportedly only three were built. One was in private hands as of 5 years ago, whereabouts unknown now. One was disassembled at the Chrysler plant after the pilot program was over.

The third rests out on a firing range at Yuma Proving Grounds. I saw it years ago, and it is totally beyond hope, shot full of holes.

Damn.

dg

AVLJeeper

Bigbee,
Thanks for the picture! And thank you for the information on Mr. Crismons book. I'll have to buy a copy.

G744,
Sad to hear that one of these was reduced to a life of target practice but at least we can hope that someone has preserved what may be the last XM195 in existance. However as much as I would like to believe that, its strange that no one knows where it is other than a few sightings here and there.

It's interesting to note that including Bigbee's picture we now have pics of 3 different trucks. The two in BillW's Webshots collection are different(the one catching air has wider fenders front and rear) and the one that Bigbee just posted looks like it has a longer front frame and angled bumper.

I still would like to see a picture of the rear end(tailgate, lights, ect.) of these trucks.

Neat stuff!

Karl

modifications

Karl

The other resource you might want to find is John Zentmyer's book TM9-1840C, The Production Story 1949-1968. It looks like a small TM, but it's his own research on the subject.

According to this book, the trucks were returned to Chrysler to increase the track width from52 to 56 inches, which then required the fender changes. He lists the original spec as including a 250.6 ci engine, 100" w/b, 64" vehicle width and original 52" track. Some of the differences (angled front bumper and frame length) may just be the camera angles.

I'll check my notes and other material. I hadn't heard about the one being returned to Chrysler and dismantled. IIRC, the one that's still around was found in a junkyard without much left.

If G744 (or someone) could get pics of the one at Yuma, even with all the holes, it'd be interesting and maybe informative.

teletech

Turns out, there is at least one (well, what's left of one) in Sacramento California as of now.
I just happened to be checking CL and noticed one for sale. It's rusty and missing most of the bed area, but for the rarity is still interesting.
Due to site rules, I can't post a link. :-(

AVLJeeper

Teletech, Thank you for digging up my old thread about these trucks! Looks like I missed out on the truck. I found the Craigslist ad cross posted on the eWillys site with a few pictures but the actual Sacramento Craigslist ad is gone.

Does anyone know who got the truck? I would love to hear that someone got it with the intention of preserving and restoring it. It looked really rough but it can be restored.

If by some chance it didn’t sell and the owner sees this post please contact me though this site.

Cheers,
Karl

DANIEL PRIVAT

Hey this is Nathan I just bought the truck. It is in really rough shape but I am in the process of restoring it. I did some wet sanding on it and got the numbers off of the hood and doors. Should be a fun project.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
David Doyle's book about Dodges has quite a few pics of those trucks. I'm sure some of them are of your truck, it should be easy to tell now that you have the hood numbers.

AVLJeeper

Hi Nathan,
Thanks for posting on this thread! I’m glad to know the truck went to someone who’s going to restore it. A big project for sure but it will be worth it. Please keep us updated.

Karl

mdainsd

I got to see this truck and meet Nathan last week at Tower Park. It is going to be a major project but Nathan is a young guy, so will have plenty of time, and the energy to do it.
What really cool is many of the one off pieces are still present on the truck. While we were looking I tensioned the fan belt with one hand and tugged on the fan. The motor does not appear to be stuck!

nattieleather

God love you Nathan. You are a good man for taking on such a project, but if the truck can be saved then it is worth it. You will probably have to fabricate the bed since it's gone on the truck! Wish I lived closer I would totally be spending time helping you if I could, but OH to CA is a long commute...LOL. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Nathan Privat

Hey guys just got it running today. Threw a 5 gallon can of gas on the fender, grabbed a battery, and squirted some starting fluid in the carb. At first the valves were sticky and it was only running on 2 cylinders but it finally broke loose and fired up. It sounds great. :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks