Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Any pictures or information on the Dodge XM195?

Private
    Thanks

Default Any pictures or information on the Dodge XM195?

Hi,

I'm looking for any pictures or information on the Dodge XM195. I found two pictures on someone' s Webshots account but I would like to see some more. http://news.webshots.com/album/33604791bQLnuC Especially of the tailgate. Also any dimension specs would be great too. Thanks for any help!

Karl

4 Star General
    Thanks

Default RE: Any pictures or information on the Dodge XM195?

That's from BillW's webshots collection.... Photos are from APG (that particular Dodge varient lost out to the Kaiser 5/4 ton I believe) so David Doyle might have some info on it since he seams to be able to come up with a lot of interesting stuff from APG for his verious articles (and general info sharing... ).

I always liked the lines of that Dodge, reminds me of a cross between a Land Rover and my M37's...
    Organizer, Graves Mountain Trailrides and Rally aka Virginia Rally
    '53 M37 with Cummins 4BT, '63 XM708 dump
    '68 M274A5
    '51 M38
    '70 XM813, '71M817, '70M816 (sold)
    '83 M931

www.garbee.net/~cabell
    www.ncmvpa.com
    www.gravesmountaintrailrides.com

Private
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply! I like the truck for the same reason: Land Rover/M37 looks. It would be like having a Land Rover with more personality and bigger tires too!

Does Mr.Doyle frequent this forum or would there be a better way to contact him?

A View of the Bay and Half the Pay, Northern Lower Michigan
    Thanks

Karl,

Fred Crismons U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles has a couple good pictures of the XM195, including the recoilless rifle version. According to his research, and that done by John Zentmyer, there were only 3 trucks built as a lighter, quicker version of the M37. (I like to compare it to the original Blazer to a Chevy pickup) It was reported that one was found in NJ in the late 1980's and it may be somewhere on the west coast now. Rumor had it in California, then someone spotted it on a trailer headed toward Washington.

I'd love to see one fabbed up!
    Brian M.

MVPA 8536
    GLMVPA
    Michigan Museum of Military Transport

I've got 80 some and they all fit in one garage.
    Mostly 1/35 scale.
    And the "toys-r-us" jingle doesn't work on model half-tracks, just so's ya know.

Thanks

Default Found another pic

Found this on my wall
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian M.

MVPA 8536
    GLMVPA

Mostly 1/35 scale.
    And the "toys-r-us" jingle doesn't work on model half-tracks, just so's ya know.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigbee For This Useful Post:

TGP (IL) (10-11-2018), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (09-24-2018)

Thanks

Default RE: Found another pic

Reportedly only three were built. One was in private hands as of 5 years ago, whereabouts unknown now. One was disassembled at the Chrysler plant after the pilot program was over.

The third rests out on a firing range at Yuma Proving Grounds. I saw it years ago, and it is totally beyond hope, shot full of holes.

dg
    Always checking conditions on the road to perdition...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to G744 For This Useful Post:

TGP (IL) (10-11-2018)

Private
    Thanks

Bigbee,
    Thanks for the picture! And thank you for the information on Mr. Crismons book. I'll have to buy a copy.

G744,
    Sad to hear that one of these was reduced to a life of target practice but at least we can hope that someone has preserved what may be the last XM195 in existance. However as much as I would like to believe that, its strange that no one knows where it is other than a few sightings here and there.

It's interesting to note that including Bigbee's picture we now have pics of 3 different trucks. The two in BillW's Webshots collection are different(the one catching air has wider fenders front and rear) and the one that Bigbee just posted looks like it has a longer front frame and angled bumper.

I still would like to see a picture of the rear end(tailgate, lights, ect.) of these trucks.

Neat stuff!

Karl

Thanks

Default modifications

Karl

The other resource you might want to find is John Zentmyer's book TM9-1840C, The Production Story 1949-1968. It looks like a small TM, but it's his own research on the subject.

According to this book, the trucks were returned to Chrysler to increase the track width from52 to 56 inches, which then required the fender changes. He lists the original spec as including a 250.6 ci engine, 100" w/b, 64" vehicle width and original 52" track. Some of the differences (angled front bumper and frame length) may just be the camera angles.

I'll check my notes and other material. I hadn't heard about the one being returned to Chrysler and dismantled. IIRC, the one that's still around was found in a junkyard without much left.

If G744 (or someone) could get pics of the one at Yuma, even with all the holes, it'd be interesting and maybe informative.
    Brian M.

MVPA 8536
    GLMVPA

Mostly 1/35 scale.

Thanks

Turns out, there is at least one (well, what's left of one) in Sacramento California as of now.
    I just happened to be checking CL and noticed one for sale. It's rusty and missing most of the bed area, but for the rarity is still interesting.
    Due to site rules, I can't post a link.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to teletech For This Useful Post:

AVLJeeper (08-21-2018)

Private
    Thanks

Teletech, Thank you for digging up my old thread about these trucks! Looks like I missed out on the truck. I found the Craigslist ad cross posted on the eWillys site with a few pictures but the actual Sacramento Craigslist ad is gone.

Does anyone know who got the truck? I would love to hear that someone got it with the intention of preserving and restoring it. It looked really rough but it can be restored.

If by some chance it didn’t sell and the owner sees this post please contact me though this site.

Cheers,
    Karl

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast