• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scrap versus Resale

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(Not a sale advertisement, apologize for the length...)

I have a donor M1037 I have been stripping. I bought it as a wreck for $2,500.

It is was pretty beat up and I've gotten loads of good parts that I am likely to keep as spares as well as sell. The front driver's side was smashed. So smashed, I would have expected blood but I didn't see a hint of it thank goodness! I was surprised it actually drove. When I pulled the tranny yesterday (3.5 hrs start to finish), I was surprised at all of the loose stuff. The control arm to the transfer case was completely off, all of the bolts to the drive shafts were loose, etc. If it hadn't of crashed, it was heading that way.

When I bought it, I expected to double the value - and have. I think it was a private party vehicle that used Planet Gov. Many of the parts have gone into another M1037 I purchased plus it came with a Milspec warn winch that works. I would buy another if I had more time....

My question is this:

Scrap aluminum prices are now around $0.45/lb. The body is all aluminum. Has anyone cut them up and recycled? If you have, any particular recommendations about how (I've been using a sawzall while wearing a mask (CARC). Works fine.) I'm really asking about process, not tools.

Also, beyond the obvious resale items, is there any value in selling the rear fenders whole? Any other body parts I should focus on keeping whole if they are not screwed up? I'm assuming the other bits and bobs (rubber bumpers and such have value.)

BTW, I've already reached out to our friend in Hollywood but I think he has enough vehicles...

Lastly, I've got a hip tip on crushing vehicle body parts. I have 0.40" plate that's about 4' x 4'. I lay it on top of the part. I then take my M998 and drive over it. Saves the tires and gets the scrap mostly flat.

LOL

Thanks in advance!

NormB

You'd be amazed what FEDEX handles, or FASTENAL. I've seen entire muffler/exhaust units (from downpipes to exhaust tip) wrapped in kraft paper with a FEDEX label attached to it on the delivery truck before. Most I've ever had shipped was some internal door panels for my wife's car, those were pretty over-sized once the seller wrapped them in 1" bubble plastic sheets.

All depends on the market. Good luck.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Damage was constrained to left front. From the feedback, it appears that I'm going to be a bit more careful about exercising Mr. Milwaukee.

My general plan - always - is to get it back into the community - hence the question. Thanks all!

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lastly, would love to use Fastenal - but they won't do SoCal!!! So many opportunities lost - since I restore old trucks.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I shipped at least 75 times from so. cal. to almost everywhere...except Colo....they don't accept
like most places in Calif.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you may need to keep most of the body, but for future reference, you don’t have to cut it up to scrap. I know, if you can get it loaded on a trailer, the scrap yards around here will take it as-is. If you want the best price though, you’ll want to remove any other metals. Sometimes it’s worth it to remove all the steel attachments, sometimes it’s not, as they will still buy it, but won’t give you as much.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s coming into California, not going out....but oddly enough, I get complete power trains shipped via Fastenal all the time from back east and mid west.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blk Hmmwv - do you complete the form online or go into the store to get it done? (Asking for a friend.)

BLK HMMWV

First time I did it on line.
Found the store # closest to me and the store # closest to the guy that's buying it.
Others here just probably go to store and let manager handle it.
I know it has to be palletized.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. That gives me some hope that I can get around to selling some of this stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks