• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice on bad brakes

tobyS

Other than going to 16.00, I can't imagine a tire that would give more torque against the brake than the 14.00 R20. It's going about 28" further per revolution than a 9.00-20 which is about 20-25% greater torque than the 9.00. I can't imagine a better reason to use larger wheel cylinder pistons (and re-new all of the other components while at it).

Just for comparison, the area of a 1 3/8 piston is 1.512 sq in. The area of 1 1/2 piston is 1.767 sq inch. At 500 psi the force pushing out on the brake is 756 lbs on the 1 3/8 and 833 pounds on the 1 1/2" piston. At 1700 psi, the force is 2570# and with larger piston is 3003# (so closer to 20%).

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Frank, im sure you fixed it, but that shoe spring is in the wrong spot on the right pad.

Just wanted to mention it for others that look at the pics.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Frank, im sure you fixed it, but that shoe spring is in the wrong spot on the right pad.

Just wanted to mention it for others that look at the pics.
I posted the shoe spring fault as it is my favorite of all the messed up, broke, incorrect, ruined crap I found.
Should we start again on the wheels cylinder springs and cups and incorrect and mismatched parts?
The broken off shoe retainer was especially a lot of work.
IMG_3020.jpgIMG_3033.jpg

Dumpy22

Finally got a chance to remove drums and all the brake pads are covered with I am guessing
to be silicone brake fuid. Lesson learned that is first thing you guys say to inspect when
getting a new truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks