• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinion needed for 1st drive home

jimm1009

I am 95% sure that I found a truck for me.
I am a former Deuce owner but sold my last M35A2C a few years back for stupid reasons :(.
I will need to drive it about 370 miles to get it home if the deal goes through.
I want to purchase locking hubs for the front and was thinking about
putting a front drive flange on the left forward axle to disengage and make it easier to drive.

Now as an alternate, I could leave that axle shaft in and just remove the 2nd rear driveshaft and the
both axle shafts and put the front drive flanges on the 2nd rear axle for the drive
home. Am not going to bob it but it make become a 4 x 4 over it's original configuration.
I am aware of the single lockout with double splined axle shaft mod. but can not do that
now in case it does loose an axle.
End desired result is to make it easier on fuel and a little better drive home since it will be all day.
Jim
jimm1009 here on s.s.
or
m1009jim@yahoo.com

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just check everything over and drive it home. Your mods won’t make much difference for one trip.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Or just pull the caps and leave em off for the drive. Wont hurt it. Especially if it's not raining. The rear rear axle has the most power to the ground when unloaded or loaded. Want a better ride and overall experience just stop off and get a few yards or dirt to keep the rear down. My 5 Ton actually got better mileage with a ton or so in the bed than empty.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just check everything over and drive it home. Your mods won’t make much difference for one trip.
Emphatically this.

Once its home in your driveway is the time to begin tampering with it, with full support infrastructure and tools and other vehicles.

As someone said - "every simple 20 minute job is but one snapped off bolt from becoming a three day ordeal."

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Or just pull the caps and leave em off for the drive. Wont hurt it. Especially if it's not raining. The rear rear axle has the most power to the ground when unloaded or loaded. Want a better ride and overall experience just stop off and get a few yards or dirt to keep the rear down. My 5 Ton actually got better mileage with a ton or so in the bed than empty.
This is exactly some GREAT advice. No doubt that putting some weight in back will help give a better ride, especially on your back and kidneys. At work if we are going over the road to another location we load the machines with material in the buckets, scrapers, payloaders, backhoes, haultrucks to keep the larger wheels from bouncing at speed.

Great Tip simp5782 MADE MY DAY!

DeadParrot

370 miles @ 10mpg = 37 gallons. At about $3/gallon = about $111 total for fuel. Even if you improved mileage 20% you get a savings of about $23. Is that worth the time and materials to make your proposed changes? IMO, leave the truck as is and use the time planned for the pre-trip mods and build in a couple extra butt relief stops instead.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I started reading this thread my first thought was to leave things ALONE till you get home, you could be creating your own brand new can of worms by changing stuff before you maiden voyage!
Karl

dmetalmiki

And of course, The old adage comes to mind, "If it ain't bust," Don't (Try) Fix it".
Just check everything first, take some tools and fluids with you.
Enjoy the trip.
And of course post up pictures of the event.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks