• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No start issue

jimbo66348

I have a 91 with the 8.3 in it. Lately every time I try to start it, it will crank over till the batteries are dead. It acts like I ran it out of fuel. It has a new transfer pump, and I crack the banjo fitting on the injection pump inlet loose, give it a pump, and it squirts fuel. Like I said, it acts like it was run dry. When I get it started, it runs great. Wondering if it something that someone here has experienced. Thanks in advance.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FSOV not pulling in/in all the way, failed overflow valve, air in the system, giant restriction, not turning fast enough, fsov wiring not up to par, idle too low.....

jimbo66348

Not sure what the FSOV is, but I assume it is the shutdown solenoid. No, to that and wiring. No to cranking. No to restriction and idle. Like I said, it acts like it was run out of fuel. After is starts and runs for a while, you shut it off and try to restart, the same thing. The overflow valve, I will find out what that is. Thanks.

74M35A2

Yes, FSOV is Fuel Shut Off Solenoid. It may be working, but as batteries age, their voltage when cranking drops. Starter will still work perfectly, but FSOV will close while cranking. You are unable to see this from the cab as a single person. Pull it back and zip tie it to test, or just remove it, only a few 10mm fasteners. Also make sure the large plastic fuel shut off lever is securely attached to the pivot shaft that goes into the pump. We have seen one be loose and cause an engine to not shut off. It should be spring loaded into the run position though, even if it slips.

Once confirmed OK, then move to fuel suction lines. If never replaced, they are due. Known weak area on these trucks, they are all old now.

If you have a frame mounted fuel filter (behind the driver side tire), check that it is tight, and the square washer at the top under the thru-bolt is fully seated in the square recess area of the mount head, rubber side down.

After that, the overflow valve is a spring loaded pressure relief check ball built into the fuel outlet port of the injection pump. An un-official way to field clean it is to pinch this line with Vice-Grips for 30 seconds while running and then release. Do this a few times. Or, also easy to just remove, clean, inspect, and re-install it.

If all above OK, move to fuel selector valve (if twin fuel tank truck). The O rings in it are a common air intrusion path. Easy to disassemble, clean, lube, and inspect.

Then go to the fuel tank dip tube. This is also a known air leak point as these trucks age. Check the tube itself for pinholes, and especially the solder joint at the top where the tube joins the fitting. It may be cracked.

Check the engine mounted spin on fuel filter drain valve at bottom is tight, the filter is tight, has no rust holes in it, the hard fuel line fittings on the engine and pump are tight and have their copper washers on each side of each one, and that the bleed bolts are all tight (10mm head). One on pump, one are rear of intake manifold where hard line goes from pump to engine mounted filter.

See if you have a fuel pressure sensor on top of the engine mounted mechanical pump. If so, this is for diagnostics only, and leak prone. Remove this sensor and plug this opening.

Once running, you can install a clear section of hose on the fuel return side to see if there are any air bubbles indicating an air leak. Easiest way to use the numb-thumb primer button on these engines via a tool-less method is to spin loose the engine mounted fuel filter, prime as needed, then retighten it.

jimbo66348

I spent over two hours today, trying to find an overflow valve. I can't even find a listing for one. A ton for the 5.9, but none for the 8.3. I can't even get Cummins to answer the phone, nor return a call.

jimbo66348

Yes. I've read all that, and googled all that, and read every item that came up. Every item says p-7100 pump for 5.9. no place did it say for mw pump, nor for 8.3. Your the first person to state that. Thank you.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Yes. I've read all that, and googled all that, and read every item that came up. Every item says p-7100 pump for 5.9. no place did it say for mw pump, nor for 8.3. Your the first person to state that. Thank you.
When I ordered one for mine online, I based the order off of a 1997 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 cummins to get a good stock rated valve. My old one was weak with a failing spring.

jimbo66348

I finally got my overflow valve and installed it today. Now it starts! Thanks for the info. For all that read this; the P-7100 pumps ARE the same as the MW, for the overflow valve. The one I used is for a 95-98 5.9/8.3 with the P pump.

jimbo66348

Well, I went a step further. I got rid of the canister fuel filtration system, and installed a spin on setup. I also replaced both of the rubber fuel lines, as well. She starts up great, now! I have attached a pic of the filter and mount numbers.IMG_20181203_093522535.jpgIMG_20181203_093531617.jpgIMG_20181202_095242881.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks