Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why is SS down sizing pictures.

Get your ding biscuits! Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,198 Times in 2,301 Posts

This me adding those same pics via the tapatalk app. Screenshot_20181029-102902_Gallery.jpg20181025_190336.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1984 AM General M923A1 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT3B turbo, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 8" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, Oshkosh 55000 Transfer Case, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    83' M923A1
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

Thanks

Weird part is my tapa talk wont display those images unless I open the SS on browser.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk
    God is a love that is closer to a person than his own life,but it takes whole life time to find him.

Back in days my questions had multiple answers, ideas, directions and opinions.
    Now my questions has only one answer... Google it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simp5782 View Post
    This me adding those same pics via the tapatalk app. Screenshot_20181029-102902_Gallery.jpg20181025_190336.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    it says 91% reduction, it was better before.
    God is a love that is closer to a person than his own life,but it takes whole life time to find him.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,094 Posts

Seems a lot of work?,
    I simply take a picture, And place it with all and any others in descriptive folders, (I save on my computer).
    Resize them all to the "Site requirements". (And that is any site).
    And Attach them using the site methodology,
    They come out clearly enough, Including words.
    FV. 432. Armoured Personal Carrier.
    M54A2 I.H. M62. wrecker
    M54A2 5 Ton (with Radio Body. ex praga command station)
    M45 530C fire truck
    M561 Gamma Goat
    1942 Ford Jeep (with underfloor tulsa winch)
    1945 Willys Jeep (with V8 flathead Engine) And now 'that' overdrive'..

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmetalmiki For This Useful Post:

99nouns (10-30-2018), glcaines (10-31-2018)

Thanks

So I need to resize the pics to site requirement then write on it so that it will be clear instead of make it very large and let the site downsize it so that letters become blurry.

I never thought of that before, do you know what the site required pixels in sizes like 800x600 or something?

Thank you for clearing that.

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuce Doctor. Steel Soldiers Vendor clinto's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,230 Posts

I suspect at issue is the way SS is hosted and how we manage images.

The vast, vast majority of web forums, for anything from baking to camping to vehicles allow people to host images elsewhere. So if you start a how-to thread on how to make chocolate chip cookies, you post all your images to your photobucket account and then link them in the thread.

This is a terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible idea. Because after a while, the Photobuckets of the world go out of business. And when they do, that entire thread is now useless. And if the original poster has moved on in terms of hobbies or has died, there's no one to re-host the images elsewhere.

SS is one of the few that forces people to post the images here. We do this so threads always stay relevant. The images never go away. So even if the OP sells all his army trucks, the images stay.

But the downside of that is the hosting costs for the site are larger, because we're doing so many images. There has to be a way to control this and resizing the images down is one way to do that. Modern smartphones are taking 5-10 mb images- a thread with 100 pictures is an enormous amount of storage.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Click here for the Deuce Doctor-MV Servicing and Sales

Click here for the Official 2018 Georgia Rally info thread!

Having a problem searching or finding something on the site? Click here for help!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    MVPA #21731
    1968 Baifield M274A5 Mule
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 w/w w/dump conversion
    1987 AM General USAF M35A2C w/w
    1987 Turtle Mountain M105A2

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clinto For This Useful Post:

99nouns (10-31-2018), glcaines (10-31-2018)

Thanks

It is not a problem as long as we have the knowledge to do what we are trying to establish, like in the T-shirt contest I had the resolution so messed up you couldn't make up what the small letters were saying in real world they are like 1/2" size but SS just got rid of 90% of the resolution.

So next time I have to make it smaller and let my computer adjust the resolution of the finer details than the SS auto resizer to size downtown but I wish someone could tell me what that native size either by pixels or bytes what SS likes.

And I perfectly understand why you dont want the link attachments so the information can be saved forever, somehow tapatalk only posts links and I find it hard to take a pic then connect to pc, then transfer pics to pc, then get to the website and find the thread, then upload the pics to thread is a lots of work sometimes.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

MVPA
    37424E
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,757 Times in 3,175 Posts

Clinto covered the reason why it is the way it is. Just wanted to give a pointer about tapatalk. Tapatalk is a 3rd party app, there's a lot of variations on mobile OS'. Basically when you're browsing the site with tapatalk, you're using their app. (You could call it a browser really) They also have their infrastructure to handle attachments/data uploads. That ends up getting relayed to our site. They offer their own image hosting as well.

Long ago, we decided that we wanted images uploaded directly here. As mentioned, there's only so much space and cost that can be afforded, so image sizes have been shrank. The site has been, well I'm going to be honest, broken to prevent remotely hosted images from embedding and just present as a hyperlink. (I too didn't like this, but I see the reasoning now days, especially with the thousands of images that photobucket holds hostage of mine now)

Back to tapatalk. They (at least in my app) kinda mislabel uploads. If you upload a picture, you're loading it to their server for remote hosting. However, if you click on the attachment instead, it will display "properly" on SS.
    M114
    1992 M1038
    1969 M35A2 wo/w, hoist in bed, heater, Ooga horn, Recentered HEMTTs and 395's, "Candy Smasher"
    1968 M543A2 Wrecker - You know, for heavy lifting...
    1984 M931 - SEMTT project
    198? M270 trailer TBD...
    1985 M1008 - SMOKEY 8" lift, 37" humvee 24 bolt wheels/tires, turbocharged.
    And a few M105 and M101 and other trailers

11. The Following User Says Thank You to patracy For This Useful Post:

99nouns (11-03-2018)

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuce Doctor. Steel Soldiers Vendor clinto's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patracy View Post
    especially with the thousands of images that photobucket holds hostage of mine now)
    I had 15 years of images on Photobucket and the site kept getting so bad (so many ads and pop ups that if you clicked a link to see an image, it took 5 minutes to get to the image) that when I decided to delete the account, I found I couldn't get all my images because PB had removed the "download album" feature and you had to do it one image at a time.

I hate those people with the intensity of a thousand dying suns.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Click here for the Deuce Doctor-MV Servicing and Sales

Click here for the Official 2018 Georgia Rally info thread!

Having a problem searching or finding something on the site? Click here for help!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    MVPA #21731
    1968 Baifield M274A5 Mule
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 w/w w/dump conversion
    1987 AM General USAF M35A2C w/w
    1987 Turtle Mountain M105A2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2