• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why is SS down sizing pictures.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My S9 Plus phone camera takes such high resolution pics that when i upload them to SS it automatically makes it a link to the pics and not an attachment cause of its size. Even if i take the picture right thru the tapatalk app selection. However if i take the same picture and screenshot it and then up load it it will upload like a normal upload attachment with no links but the quality is lower.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And please attach picture, do not use links.

99nouns

That pic had 69% reduction. in my case you cannot read the writings on my post, small letters get blurry.

reduction.JPG

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
This me adding those same pics via the tapatalk app. Screenshot_20181029-102902_Gallery.jpg20181025_190336.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

99nouns

Weird part is my tapa talk wont display those images unless I open the SS on browser.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

dmetalmiki

Seems a lot of work?,
I simply take a picture, And place it with all and any others in descriptive folders, (I save on my computer).
Resize them all to the "Site requirements". (And that is any site).
And Attach them using the site methodology,
They come out clearly enough, Including words.

99nouns

So I need to resize the pics to site requirement then write on it so that it will be clear instead of make it very large and let the site downsize it so that letters become blurry.

I never thought of that before, do you know what the site required pixels in sizes like 800x600 or something?

Thank you for clearing that.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I suspect at issue is the way SS is hosted and how we manage images.

The vast, vast majority of web forums, for anything from baking to camping to vehicles allow people to host images elsewhere. So if you start a how-to thread on how to make chocolate chip cookies, you post all your images to your photobucket account and then link them in the thread.

This is a terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible idea. Because after a while, the Photobuckets of the world go out of business. And when they do, that entire thread is now useless. And if the original poster has moved on in terms of hobbies or has died, there's no one to re-host the images elsewhere.

SS is one of the few that forces people to post the images here. We do this so threads always stay relevant. The images never go away. So even if the OP sells all his army trucks, the images stay.

But the downside of that is the hosting costs for the site are larger, because we're doing so many images. There has to be a way to control this and resizing the images down is one way to do that. Modern smartphones are taking 5-10 mb images- a thread with 100 pictures is an enormous amount of storage.

99nouns

It is not a problem as long as we have the knowledge to do what we are trying to establish, like in the T-shirt contest I had the resolution so messed up you couldn't make up what the small letters were saying in real world they are like 1/2" size but SS just got rid of 90% of the resolution.

So next time I have to make it smaller and let my computer adjust the resolution of the finer details than the SS auto resizer to size downtown but I wish someone could tell me what that native size either by pixels or bytes what SS likes.

And I perfectly understand why you dont want the link attachments so the information can be saved forever, somehow tapatalk only posts links and I find it hard to take a pic then connect to pc, then transfer pics to pc, then get to the website and find the thread, then upload the pics to thread is a lots of work sometimes.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Clinto covered the reason why it is the way it is. Just wanted to give a pointer about tapatalk. Tapatalk is a 3rd party app, there's a lot of variations on mobile OS'. Basically when you're browsing the site with tapatalk, you're using their app. (You could call it a browser really) They also have their infrastructure to handle attachments/data uploads. That ends up getting relayed to our site. They offer their own image hosting as well.

Long ago, we decided that we wanted images uploaded directly here. As mentioned, there's only so much space and cost that can be afforded, so image sizes have been shrank. The site has been, well I'm going to be honest, broken to prevent remotely hosted images from embedding and just present as a hyperlink. (I too didn't like this, but I see the reasoning now days, especially with the thousands of images that photobucket holds hostage of mine now)

Back to tapatalk. They (at least in my app) kinda mislabel uploads. If you upload a picture, you're loading it to their server for remote hosting. However, if you click on the attachment instead, it will display "properly" on SS.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
especially with the thousands of images that photobucket holds hostage of mine now)
I had 15 years of images on Photobucket and the site kept getting so bad (so many ads and pop ups that if you clicked a link to see an image, it took 5 minutes to get to the image) that when I decided to delete the account, I found I couldn't get all my images because PB had removed the "download album" feature and you had to do it one image at a time.

I hate those people with the intensity of a thousand dying suns.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks