• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M51A2

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Never a Dull moment for your Puppies? Very cool, keep on plugging away. I always liked the Military Engineer equipment.

Using zinc additive is a very good idea if the oil you are using does not have any, which most auto oils do not have any longer. Great thinking especially if the truck has been sitting, but do not use too much be a little economical or find a usage formula which some of our Heavy Truck Mechanics would have more knowledge than I.

Having worked in Heavy Equipment construction for a lot of years, 40 plus, we have from 25 ton cranes up to 550 ton mobile truck cranes.

Cosmoline on cable when new is for storage now but years ago that was the preferred method. Now there are spray can protectants with all kinds of formulas.

For winches that are in the mud or dirt after use I just unspool and mine having cosmo on inside anyway and rinse with water and spray down after drying with what ever is cheap. Teflon,
WD 40, graphite. As long as cable isn't frayed I may wipe with a thinned cosmo again and lay in sun to get to the interior.

I am positive that some of the Men on here have better applications, especially for the wreckers and retrievers.

Last edited:

fasttruck

Post 43: got a short somewhere ? Sounds like flasher is trying to flash the whole truck. Does this occur in both directions ?

holley68

I don't know what happened to the flashers, but the next morning they started back working like they should and have since. Still trying to track down why the lights are not working with the brakes.

Side note, I got several items from White Owl a couple of weeks ago. Just installed the pto shaft and everything seems to be going properly. But the hitch I bought does not line up with the holes on the frames. The hitch from White Owl is to short. They stated a 5ton hitch is a 5ton hitch unless it's been modified. You can tell no modification but their hitch does fit. Going to call them tomorrow. Hope they can make this right. 2 hour drive was no fun.

Last edited:

holley68

White Owl is surprised the hitch didn't fit. He said he thought their was only one hitch for the 5 tons. Looks like I'll be driving that 2 hour trip to return it.

holley68

Spoke to White Owl again today, they don't have the hitch I need for my M51a2. He is still saying he is only aware of one hitch. I looked through several images of 5 tons. There are 2 styles, but I can't figure out why one 5 ton has the smaller hitch and other 5 tons have the longer hitch.

Looks like I'll be calling Jim Henry and hope he has the hitch I am looking for.

fasttruck

What specifically doesn't fit ? 5 tons have different mounting brackets to attach the pintle to the frame because the pintle on a 5 ton is lower to accommodate artillery pieces. The only difference I can think of would be the shaft passing through the frame might be longer than a deuce because of the different mount. All the trailer lunettes are the same so the jaw itself should not be an issue Post pics illustrating problem. Vendor is aware you have a 5 ton and not a deuce ? Do you have a bare frame rail in the back or is just the pintle itself missing ?

fasttruck

Reference post 48, I have had M816, 817, and 818 chassis here at different times and all the pintles were the same. And a M123 too.

holley68

Fasttruck, in reference to your images, the first mounting plate is the one i need (the first image). The larger one has 2 ribs running up and down from above the trailer plug hole down to the pintle and is about 2 or 3 inches taller. Even the bolts for the larger mount are bigger. The old snapped off bolts wont fit into the mount from White Owl (the smaller mount). The others mounts are the same as the one I got from White Owl (smaller).

I have just the bare frame in the back. Looks like the bolts were snapped. Some are still in place.

Last edited:

fasttruck

Additional 5t pics attached. M818, 817: they are all the same. a deuce has a mount directly to the rear framed which makes the hook higher to be compatible with the trailers typically coupled to a deuce. If there is a difference it could be in the length of the shank which passes throughM809 DIF CHK PLUG.jpgM817 REAR.jpg the mount and is secured with a castellated nut.

Attachments

holley68

The mounts are not the same. The second picture and third pictures are examples of the different mounts. The bolt pattern is several inches different. Not sure if the pintle sets lower in either mount. I would doubt it. But I know the pattern, size and bolts are different for the large and small mount for 5 tons.

fasttruck

The picture in post 52 is the same one in the pics I have posted. If the bolts don't fit did they give you a pintle for a deuce ? M 915 has a different mount but hook is the same.army trucks 002.jpg

fasttruck

I don't have the trucks in the pics to measure any more but the tractor has a shallower rear cross member than the dump truck ad presumably the cargo trucks. Maybe they gave you ther mount for a tractor if they are different.

holley68

The dump truck and the tractor in #53 have the different mounts. The dump truck has the larger mount I need. The tractor mount is the smaller mount I got.

holley68

I think that's what it is. But to hear the clerk at White Owl a 5 ton mount is a 5 ton mount. But if it was it would fit on my 5 ton lol. He also said that were the only kind he has. Hate to drive all the way up there just to return it. If I can find someone with the mount I need, maybe trade them out. We will see...

Last edited:

fasttruck

Print out the pictures and take them with you. The tractors have a narrower rear cross member so the king pin on the upper fifth wheel of the trailers will not get caught on the cross member. I have been around these trucks for 40 years and never noticed this until now. However the pintle that passes through the mount would be the same. Tractors did not constitute the majority of 809 series trucks built so I would think that the larger mounts would be more common than the tractor variant.

fasttruck

The picture of the dump truck in post 10 illustrates the size of the dump truck crossmember. Take a copy of that and my tractor pictures to show your parts clerk.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks