• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M51A2

holley68

Picked up a M51A2 from Kentucky Foresty, they said the local fire department has used it but it's been sitting for several years. Got it plus shipping around $3500.

Doesn't look like it's missing many parts. Front driver side panel, winch driveshaft, and rear pintle. The exhaust is rusted out and canvas top has ripped. Lot of surface rust but mostly solid.

So today I start my first goal. Getting the engine running. Oil looks good. Proper level no signs of water. Radiator empty. Filled don't see any leaks. Drained fuel tank, put a few gallons back in. Went to change first filter. Went off the cross reference for the motor. LDS 465. Got the 3511 Napa. Popped the old filter off. A lot of slug in the bottom of the can. Slide the new filter on and it hits the bottom of the can. The shaft hole is twice the size of the old one. In the can is the bottom washer, two springs. Am I missing something?

I put the old can back in and decide to see if I can get fuel. Nope. The fuel pump is not pumping. At least not pass to this filter. Getting power to the pump. Guess a new pump is in order for this truck.

Any suggestions or parts that I missing would be greatly appreciated.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Iirc there should be a fuse for the pump, but either way I’d pull it and ensure the rotor is free and turning. If so, then I’d set it in a bucket of diesel and try it again. Soldier B is a plus

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal man. I had one located and he wanted $4500 then he got it running and jumped to $6500. I couldn't swing it at the time. It was on a hill, where water ran out of the bed. Hope yours was kept where water would not set pooled up in the bed.

I found another that had a pool. Rust ruined a lot of the metal and it was beyond repair.

holley68

Got spoiled being a team leader. Could have soldier b, c ,d and maybe e lol.

The bed leaks water on the driver side tank, maybe that has saved it. Havent inspected it good yet, but looks solid. I hope it is. If not it won't be much use to me, unless I can find a bed.

Thanks guys. Anyone have a suggestion on the fuel filter.

Last edited:

holley68

Screws are stripping for the fuel tank cap. Looks like I am going to have to drill. Hope I can get most of the metal out. Then it looks like a in-line pump for me. Probably do that as well for the transfer pump.
Going over the truck today, notice a return fuel line from one of the injectors, broken. Surprised these are plastic.

dmetalmiki

Looks a really nice truck and a good find for the price.
Just take your time and fix things first, then try running the engine.
Clean the filter cans and put new filters in. All and any parts you need can be got from dealers on this site.
Why not try loosing the outlet pipe from the tank and seeing if fuel squirts out?.
If it does just make sure the fuel is clean.
If it does not because the pump is not running, (Only) Then go for replacing it.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless this is a hobby or restoration, I wouldn't replace the bed, I'd weld in patches or an entire liner. That bed does not look too bad, at least it's basically straight. Have you got it to turn over yet? I love that model. Here is an 817 I bought fixed up, used and sold.

Attachments

holley68

Thanks guys. I am trying to get as much as I can get done on this before it turns cold here. If it's a mild winter I be able to do more.

Put in the inline fuel pump. Got fuel. But as soon as I get good flow of fuel the starter locks up. At least that's what it sounded like. Not doing anything even with hammer taps. Going to take it off and to the electric motor shop for a rebuild.

holley68

Got the starter off, should have dropped the driveshaft. Might have to, to get it back in.

Guy at the shop doesn't know if he has all the parts for a rebuild. He said he could get me something to replace it, but he will check and see what's messed up first.

While it's off I'll do some maintenance. Fuel filters, wish I could find an air filter. Read up more and make sure all the controls are in neutral. Found a broke wire I'll trace down.

holley68

Installed new starter, still no start. Starter not doing anything. I tried jumping it at the solenoid, no luck. A little spark. Almost seems like it's not getting enough power. Checked the batteries connection. They seem good. Sure the batteries are charged. Thinking about pulling they and recharging them, but did that before the no start issue.

With the starter not doing anything when I jump the starter, I am thinking I am losing power somewhere.

snowtrac nome

Installed new starter, still no start. Starter not doing anything. I tried jumping it at the solenoid, no luck. A little spark. Almost seems like it's not getting enough power. Checked the batteries connection. They seem good. Sure the batteries are charged. Thinking about pulling they and recharging them, but did that before the no start issue.

With the starter not doing anything when I jump the starter, I am thinking I am losing power somewhere.
check battery connections and check grounds ensure the block has a good ground back to the battery. The military usually runs a wire from the battery back to the block. I have seen people take a short cut and ground to the frame than the block looses its ground through the rubber mounting points.

holley68

I got the batteries setup properly. Have used them to start my mep002.

I am looking for a bad ground. The starter ground to the frame looks good. It was turning over, and then just stopped.

holley68

The mesh cable from the block to the (I think it was the frame) looked good. I'll check tomorrow before work and see if I am get 24 volts to the starter. Jumping the solenoid cuts the buzzer off. I believe the switch is working for the starter. The cable from the battery to the starter looks good. Got two optimal gel batteries with 1000 ca. They were turning the motor over nicely. I put and inline fuel pump in, get fuel pressure. Start turning it over and then it just stops.

The batteries have a few years on them but with little use on my mep002 from time to time.

BEASTMASTER

have you put a load test on each of the batts ?? my beast wouldn't start and each batt showed 12 volts. had advance put a load test on them an one had one and a half dead cells . put a new batt. in and i'ts been fine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks