• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M970 Trunnion flip for leveling purposes

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, its freezing time so AMi got drained to keep from freeze busting valves. Now is the time to do maintenance.

Problem.
Trailer runs uphill due to AMi being a M916 and not a M915 or M931, to the tune of about 13in difference front high.

IMG_2811[1].jpg

Attempted solution:
1600/20's, failed, tire is too large to clear the fenders.

Attempted solution.
11R24.5, not fail, but no good solution, only changed height by 1" ish.

IMG_2814[1].jpgIMG_2813[1].jpg

Possible solution:
Flip trunnion mount from bottom side mount to top side mount. I would gain 11" of height with this mod.

IMG_2812[1].jpg

I understand that consists of unbolting complete trunnion and axles from truck, (8 bolts and 8 airlines) rolling it all out, flipping trunnion mounts at springs, then reinstalling.

IMG_2815.jpg

Screenshot_34.jpg

Can it be done? What is the disadvantages? Why would it not work?

spring load remains the same, rather than ubolts pulling down on spring pack, the trunnion mount will be pushing down.

Last edited:

Level would be better your rear axle now can't have much travel till it hits the axle stop putting the weight on one axle or putting the tire in to the trailer. I hope it works .

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a trailer that is like the swap you talked about.
yep, exactly.... what is that on? I never even thought to looked at the 871 sitting out back.

edit, 871 is the same as 970.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks