• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SERVICE BULLETIN: M35A3 Self-Destructed Radiator Fan Threw Blades

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To the M35A3 owners, my truck turned 25 years old and the plastic fan came apart. I was lucky and did not lose my radiator. For piece of mind, replace your fan.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Doesn't matter plastic or steel, I had my m35a2 steel fan loose a blade. Mine did go through the radiator.

I was flat towing an 818 at the time too. Made for an interesting fix in the wallyworld parking lot. Had to shovel snow to do the swap!

Monkeyboyarmy

I had a fan blade come apart too on an A2. It was an aluminum bladed fan. What happened was that the rubber bushings under the radiator fell apart and allowed the radiator to drop down enough that the blades started rubbing n shortly there after a blade exited...of course taking out the radiator. Maybe something else to check periodically.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced my M35A2 riveted steel fan with a $13 fan from Summit Racing, blades shortened with a pair of scissors, to prevent the possibility of radiator-destroying missiles. I drove the Deuce without a fan for a few weeks (because people have said you really only need the fan when the truck is idling a lot/creeping at slow speed - and they are absolutely right). The cheapo plastic fan does the job...no overheating when idling and I consider it safer in case of a failure.

Last edited:

russojap

I replaced my M35A2 riveted steel fan with a $13 fan from Summit Racing, blades shortened with a pair of scissors, to prevent the possibility of radiator-destroying missiles. I drove the Deuce without a fan for a few weeks (because people have said you really only need the fan when the truck is idling a lot/creeping at slow speed - and they are absolutely right). The cheapo plastic fan does the job...no overheating when idling and I consider it safer in case of a failure.
Is this it? I can't find one for $13.00 How hard was it to put on?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...1321357379513&utm_content=GSAPI+5ba1009cf3787

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Affirmative, that's the one. 20". Super easy to put on. I am sure the water pump bearings appreciate the lightweight option.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if I ordered a 20" or 18"..I think 20 because it needed trimming. The 18 probably won't. It has been a couple years.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I have the 18" nylon fan from Summit cut the center of my steel fan out for a spacer and angled the radiator forward just a bit working perfectly for 5 years in hot Florida summers.

russojap

I would REALLY like to make this modification, but after taking a look it seems like the only way to change out the fan is to either remove the radiator or the water pump. The fan on it now looks pretty sturdy and I'm not sure how it could come apart...I'm not saying it couldn't... just that it looks sturdy. Are they all made the same way? Now that I've said that, watch it go through the radiator.

IMG_20181105_225757.jpg

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would REALLY like to make this modification, but after taking a look it seems like the only way to change out the fan is to either remove the radiator or the water pump. The fan on it now looks pretty sturdy and I'm not sure how it could come apart...I'm not saying it couldn't... just that it looks sturdy. Are they all made the same way? Now that I've said that, watch it go through the radiator.

View attachment 747364
All you need to do is to loosen the rad bolt nuts at the bottom, unhook the radiator bracket at the top and one end of the upper rad hose and tilt the rad forward. Enough room to get to the four bolts that hold the fan. If you have a w/w truck, put a piece of cardboard between rad and winch so you do not dent the fins.
N

russojap

All you need to do is to loosen the rad bolt nuts at the bottom, unhook the radiator bracket at the top and one end of the upper rad hose and tilt the rad forward. Enough room to get to the four bolts that hold the fan. If you have a w/w truck, put a piece of cardboard between rad and winch so you do not dent the fins.
N
Ok thanks! Fan is on the way!

​EDIT: Fan arrived yesterday (Thursday) great service from Summit, can't wait to get this thing on.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks