• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can the Gov't confiscate a vehicle after the sale? Putting that fear mongering to bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After getting tired of a few long term members floating disinformation through either ignorance or jealousy insisting the gov't could come and take our private property anytime they feel like I decided to contact the DLA directly. Not only did they respond by email, but they called me twice to talk to me about it. A gentleman named Evans took the time to answer all my questions. What the answer comes down to is a simple big fat NO they can not confiscate your property after the sale.

They will occasionally ask that the property be returned under certain conditions like the Marines needing a piece of equipment the Army sold, major war, safety issue ect , he also stated unequivocally we can simply say no, and that would be the end of it. So collect away and don't worry about this particular fear mongering any longer.
Thank you for contacting DLA. Below are details regarding your issue
and/or concern.

Service Ticket Information
Ticket No./Date: 8005946220 / 10/26/2018
Description: RBI GOVERNMENT SALES ISSUE
NSN:
Requisition Number:
PO#/PR#:
Contract Number:

Problem/Interim/Resolution
Mel Proulx (J422, x5831) 20181029
Lawrence Evans called Mr. Stevens 0930, 29 October 2018 to discuss his
concerns. He explained to him that the government does not #confiscate#
property but does occasionally request items sold be returned for a
variety of reasons. He outlined the four reasons that are most
prevalent.
A. Military need, a service has a requirement for an item that was
previously declared excess.
B. Humanitarian or disaster support.
C. Safety issue or latent defect in the item.
D. Change in coding, normally the demil code, that makes the item not
eligible for sale under DOD policy.
Mr. Stevens was satisfied with the information given and very
appreciative of the phone call.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////////////////////////////////

Mel Proulx (J422, x5831) 20181026
Customer emailed response answering his question.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///////////

Interim; Greg Dangremond, J411, x4885, 10/26/2018, this ticket is being
assigned to Mr. Mel Proulx for customer assistance.
//////////////////////////////////

Problem :
Created By: HP91805
Created On: 10/26/2018
Closed On: 10/26/2018

Customer Information
Contact Name: Robert Stevens
Contact Position:
Contact Telephone:
Contact Email: Stevensfam1@msn.com

Account Address
DODAAC: 40004N
------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are DLA. We stand committed to providing logistics solutions to our
valued customers.

This email is for information purposes only. If you require further
assistance, please send a reply back on this email or call our DLA
Customer Interaction Center (CIC) at 1(877)352-2255, COMM
1(269)961-7766, or DSN 661-7766. To help us assist you, please refer to
your Service Ticket number.

Generic Sold-To DO NOT CHANGE Page
74 Washington Avenue North 2
BATTLE CREEK MI 49037

Service Ticket No./Date
8005946220 / 10/26/2018

To: dlacontactcenter@dla.mil
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Vehicles subject to being recalled to gov't
property after sale?Dear Sirs:
I keep hearing people saying vehicles bought through gov't
services and their third party sales are subject to being recalled
without remuneration after the sale and after titled. Is this true?
Thanks, Robert Stevens

Learn about DLA Self Help Tools available to you online under
Links/Resources at
http://www.dla.mil/CustomerSupport/Resources/SelfHelp.aspx

#We are DLA. We are committed to providing you, our valued customer,
with logistics solutions.#

------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are DLA. We stand committed to providing logistics solutions to our
valued customers.

This email is for information purposes only. If you require further
assistance, please send a reply back on this email or call our DLA
Customer Interaction Center (CIC) at 1(877)352-2255, COMM
1(269)961-7766, or DSN 661-7766. To help us assist you, please refer to
your Service Ticket number.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So they won't "confiscate" them, but they can take them back for other reasons.

It's happened before, and there is no reason to believe it won't happen again.

but does occasionally request items sold be returned for a
variety of reasons.
Your reply from them proves that.

Semantics of words...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
And the government can make up any reason to request it back or just issue a court order to return it. It is that simple.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A case from long ago (1960's) that went to the Supreme Court decided that the government could get property back, but had to pay market prices to do so. It involved a Sumter, SC electrical company that purchased large lots of scrap from Aberdeen, MD, mainly because the owner wanted to, and he had the money. They were refurbishing the scrap and selling parts wholesale to dealers both in the US and overseas (this was long before ITAR). Some of his employees decided to go into business for themselves and they wound up selling some class 3 items to undercover FBI agents acting as Cuban Freedom Fighters (against Castro). The Government seized everything from the business, even though only a small part of the total, in a remote barn that the employees were using to store what they had stolen from the business, were involved. The government was sued for lost sales and profits. The military went through the 'scrap' and wound up shipping over 80 percent of it to Vietnam where things were heating up and the parts were needed. The government also ordered new parts be made to supplement what they had recovered. On that basis, the fair market value of what had been seized was calculated. The Government lost the case and had to pay for the parts at the highest cost of making spares, damages, and court costs.
So, yes it can happen, but they have to pay for ALL your expenses (think upgrades, maintenance, etc.) to do so. The vast majority of the stuff we have is obsolete in their eyes, and they would rather purchase new stuff in bulk than go through the hassles of getting things back one at a time from us.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Semantics of words...
I think you missed the word REQUEST and the unequivocal answer I got on the phone that you can say no and that's the end of it. Unless you're suggesting these gov't employees are lying and many at the DLA are ex military BTW. I'll take them at their word The number is in the email, feel free to call them yourself or send an email. You really missed the point they can't take them back without your permission.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A case from long ago (1960's) that went to the Supreme Court decided that the government could get property back, but had to pay market prices to do so. It involved a Sumter, SC electrical company that purchased large lots of scrap from Aberdeen, MD, mainly because the owner wanted to, and he had the money. They were refurbishing the scrap and selling parts wholesale to dealers both in the US and overseas (this was long before ITAR). Some of his employees decided to go into business for themselves and they wound up selling some class 3 items to undercover FBI agents acting as Cuban Freedom Fighters (against Castro). The Government seized everything from the business, even though only a small part of the total, in a remote barn that the employees were using to store what they had stolen from the business, were involved. The government was sued for lost sales and profits. The military went through the 'scrap' and wound up shipping over 80 percent of it to Vietnam where things were heating up and the parts were needed. The government also ordered new parts be made to supplement what they had recovered. On that basis, the fair market value of what had been seized was calculated. The Government lost the case and had to pay for the parts at the highest cost of making spares, damages, and court costs.
So, yes it can happen, but they have to pay for ALL your expenses (think upgrades, maintenance, etc.) to do so. The vast majority of the stuff we have is obsolete in their eyes, and they would rather purchase new stuff in bulk than go through the hassles of getting things back one at a time from us.
Interesting first they were apparently violating federal laws. If you can, I'd like to know which case this was. It sounds like to me market cost would be well over what we paid for our vehicles, Would I give up my Humvee for the cost of a new one? Absolutely! Would i give up my Humvee in the case of a major war, most likely.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
The Federal Government can legislate whatever they like. As the President can also with a signature.

Gold recall of 1933, for one but a little off topic. Ask any Native American about taking back something that has been given. Manifest Destiny

Can the State or Federal Government reacquire that has been sold? Absolutely, Eminent Domain, but must pay for material or possessions. At what they determine as a equitable price. Is it fair?

Do you actually own your house or land, property? No, if you do not pay the Kings taxes what happens?

Action

I have heard of GL taking stuff back. They would refund what was paid and shipping expenses if you hired someone to get the stuff. No shipping expenses paid if you went and got it.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Federal Government can legislate whatever they like. As the President can also with a signature.

Gold recall of 1933, for one but a little off topic. Ask any Native American about taking back something that has been given. Manifest Destiny

Can the State or Federal Government reacquire that has been sold? Absolutely, Eminent Domain, but must pay for material or possessions. At what they determine as a equitable price. Is it fair?

Do you actually own your house or land, property? No, if you do not pay the Kings taxes what happens?
No they can't actually, that's why we have courts, even though most are hip deep in their pockets, we have a supreme court for now.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard of GL taking stuff back. They would refund what was paid and shipping expenses if you hired someone to get the stuff. No shipping expenses paid if you went and got it.
Did the buyers take possession? Quit clutching at straws, call or email the DLA before the nonsense starts. Any proof that they were taken or voluntarily surrendered?

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Semantics of words...
I could pick a few words out a conversation and get the results I need for disinformation too. Please cite an example with proof of the gov't confiscating a previous military vehicle owned by someone legally. OOPS thread deleted right?

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
No they can't actually, that's why we have courts, even though most are hip deep in their pockets, we have a supreme court for now.
Yes they can actually, that is why Their are Courts.

Are you looking for reaffirmation of ownership?

Do you remit a mortgage? Or do you Own your home?

If an owner of property free and clear of a mortgage, does not pay taxes on, how long do you think that you will own such?

You have the information from an employee, reputable or not, one such answer does not make a fact. You may call Mr. Evans immediate supervisor and get the same or a different answer, that is why you get it in writing.

Thanks, I needed some Humor for the Day.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have heard that old line a time or two in my court dealings. The simple phrase a person says. "I was mistaken when I said that, I apologize" and it allows alot of things to go. This is only true though on the side of the government. Not the people. We are not allowed to be mistaken.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes they can actually, that is why Their are Courts.

Are you looking for reaffirmation of ownership?

Do you remit a mortgage? Or do you Own your home?

If an owner of property free and clear of a mortgage, does not pay taxes on, how long do you think that you will own such?

You have the information from an employee, reputable or not, one such answer does not make a fact. You may call Mr. Evans immediate supervisor and get the same or a different answer, that is why you get it in writing.

Thanks, I needed some Humor for the Day.
What exactly does your post have to do with the gov't taking your legally owned and paid for property? What is with you guys perpetrating this myth the gov't can come and take your vehicles anytime they want? I did get it in writing BTW I posted it. REQUEST.... Did you not see that part?

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard that old line a time or two in my court dealings. The simple phrase a person says. "I was mistaken when I said that, I apologize" and it allows alot of things to go. This is only true though on the side of the government. Not the people. We are not allowed to be mistaken.
Okay I get the anti gov't stuff, but aren't you getting political here instead of fact driven in this case? I thought that was against the rules? Here i give facts that two DLA gvo't employees corroborate the fact, that once you own an ex gov't vehicle they can't come and take them without you voluntarily giving your property up , yet conjecture from a few still flows without any proof whatsoever. How does that work? I heard a rumor we didn't land on the moon.......

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What exactly does your post have to do with the gov't taking your legally owned and paid for property? What is with you guys perpetrating this myth the gov't can come and take your vehicles anytime they want? I did get it in writing BTW I posted it. REQUEST.... Did you not see that part?
Do you really expect a government employee say "yeah we can take your stuff " when they they have more to sell . This would not be the first time a government employee provided the wrong information , and later on have it retracted by higher ups in government.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is fun.
I’m fairly confident our government can take whatever, physical property from us whenever they want “legally”, if they compensate us “fairly”.
Why are we worried about this now? Maybe we should sell all of our junk before it happens...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This is fun.
I’m fairly confident our government can take whatever, physical property from us whenever they want “legally”, if they compensate us “fairly”.
Why are we worried about this now? Maybe we should sell all of our junk before it happens...
I will give you fire sale emergency prices, this way you CAN NOT have the GOV. take something you know longer own.

If ANYONE one thinks the GOV. will not lie to you, just REMEMBER it is the FAVORITE place for LAWYERS to call home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks