• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can the Gov't confiscate a vehicle after the sale? Putting that fear mongering to bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunzy

As I read in the OP he said "Confiscate." Now that to me is very different than "Buy Back" or "Request Return." Can they confiscate? Oh He77 yes they can as Federal and State agencies do it all the time. (i.e. police confiscating large sums of legal cash and you have to file in court to get it back). Will they ever come for our trucks? Not very likely. I remember when HEMTT sales were stopped 3 years ago and current owners such as myself were hearing ramblings that they would "Request the Return" of the trucks and pay compensation for them. Well, that never happened but darn sure could have if some one in the government wanted it to. Do I trust what people in the Government tell me? Not very often. Now, that being said, does anyone have a spare M1A1 Abrams I can get? :)

Michael

I have personally had them request an item back for a demil code change. I was buying something almost every month so I took it back. I was under the impression that if I refused they would ban me from buying anything else.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
1 Patriot, I may have entered into a previous Death Match thread over ownership of Military Vehicles, Equipment. Just playing devils advocate. Nothing personal.

I have chosen a few examples of government repossession. "If" the Fed requires its former property back, then yes the Gov can and will take possession of it "at will", and pay what it wants, unless in time of War, then it will pay when "practical".

Do I own Military Equipment, yes. Am I afraid that the State or Federal government will come and TAKE it, well no. I still purchase equipment knowing that in a nano second that if civil unrest, War, then anyone wearing a Uniform, Local, State, Federal can commandeer such for furtherance of official duty.

I believe that yes we in the U.S.A. reside in a Republic, nothing political about that. But to believe that you make the Laws in the Kings Woods and then believe that the King would not askew the Laws to his benefit then...

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Government confiscates tons of my money yearly, every April. Enough is enough. They ain't gettin' my Slantback!

MAdams

This seems easy. SS has 85,000 members, has anyone ever had something confiscated? Ever heard from a direct source of something being taken?

fasttruck

If the item was sold subject to an EUC read the EUC which outlines some of their return policies. I remember a case several years ago where GL sold some of the 4 wheel power sections of these break apart HEMETTs and shortly after the buyers had to send them back and they were not reimbursed for the cost of the headhaul. As GL was selling the rear halfs all the time there was significant interest in the front part. I cannot remember if it was a Demill coding problem or it occurred during the period diesel vehicles were not being sold because of some confusion in DOD about emission certifications.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This seems easy. SS has 85,000 members, has anyone ever had something confiscated? Ever heard from a direct source of something being taken?
Yes, a guy I know in the hobby had a few M939 series trucks that were requested back. I never heard how that worked out. I believe he had sold them, and that may have been the end of it. This was more than a decade ago. I do recall seeing a bucket truck sitting at Meade that had been sold out of PA. When I was at Meade picking up an M35A2, I asked the site manager about the truck because it looked exactly like the truck I had seen in PA. He told me it WAS the same truck. The customer had been requested/told to return the truck. I don't know the exact language that was used, nor any threats of legal action that may or may not have been made (if any). I only know the customer returned the truck because he was told/asked to do so.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, a guy I know in the hobby had a few M939 series trucks that were requested back. I never heard how that worked out. I believe he had sold them, and that may have been the end of it. This was more than a decade ago. I do recall seeing a bucket truck sitting at Meade that had been sold out of PA. When I was at Meade picking up an M35A2, I asked the site manager about the truck because it looked exactly like the truck I had seen in PA. He told me it WAS the same truck. The customer had been requested/told to return the truck. I don't know the exact language that was used, nor any threats of legal action that may or may not have been made (if any). I only know the customer returned the truck because he was told/asked to do so.
So another 5th hand I heard men didn't land on the moon....... Which guy and what truck and give specifics as to voluntary and forced. Not one yet.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So another 5th hand I heard men didn't land on the moon....... Which guy and what truck and give specifics as to voluntary and forced. Not one yet.
A couple of M934A2s came out before they were supposed to and were requested back.

Some M1102 chassis came out with sensitive items and were recalled.

Request letters came out for some of the HEMTTs.

Like you, I don't lose any sleep over it. Probability approaches zero that it's going to happen to us. And certainly not over title status of M998s. (Have you seen the DLA's official position on this lately? Paraphrases as "it's up to each individual state. We don't care.")

Flyingvan911

A tiny handful of members have reported the government asking for something back but it’s very rare. The general consensus is that it would take a super dooms day world war 3 scenario for the government to “come for all our trucks.”

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have any first hand proof that we did land on the moon?
Yes! They placed a super-reflective device on the Moon to allow accurate distance measurements with some type of laser measuring tool. With the correct laser pointer telescope you can make it light up.

I'm tired of all the conspiracy lunatics who say we were never there. Buzz Aldrin kicked some guys ass for denying the lunar missions were real, after BUzz and the boys risked their lives to go there. WTG Buzz!!!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are going to take back all your Former Military vehicles....I’m prepared to pay you cash before they do, I pay .10 on the dollar, that’s better then nothing, PM if interested.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are going to take back all your Former Military vehicles....I’m prepared to pay you cash before they do, I pay .10 on the dollar, that’s better then nothing, PM if interested.
RWH, don't forget your estimate of half a million vehicles. Unless you have oodles of cash, I think you need to downgrade your offer to $0.01 on the dollar.

I also agree with RWH implied message... Just drive them and enjoy them and stop worrying about "what -if's."

Best,

T

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh, no. This is a guy that I know personally...as in, a personal friend who I can call right now if I wanted to. He is a guy I respect very much and I trust what he told me. He is actually on this list, but I don't think he wants to go public with his situation given that he sold the trucks. They were M939 series trucks...I believe M923s and M925s. So, no, this is not 5th hand information. If you care to disregard this, I truly don't care.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh, no. This is a guy that I know personally...as in, a personal friend who can call right now. He is a guy I respect very much and I trust what he told me. He is actually on this list, but I don't think he wants to go public with his situation given that he sold the trucks. They were M939 series trucks...I believe M923s and M925s. So, no, this is not 5th hand information. If you care to disregard this, I truly don't care.
Some people only believe what they want to hear not the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks