• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can the Gov't confiscate a vehicle after the sale? Putting that fear mongering to bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandcobra164

If you have an old Military truck that was surplussed, you are probably in the clear. Jeeps, Deuces, M809's, M939's, and some HMMWV's are no longer in service. HEMMT and LMTV owners might need to be nervous but I honestly doubt it. They are downsizing so unless you own a unique vehicle such as a wrecker of fueler I'd enjoy my Green Iron and have a nice day.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck is a 66 year old M42 (M37 variant) with lots and lots of "accessories" (dual wheel set up, complete arctic system, crane kit, lots of radios, trailer, tire chains, hard top, etc., etc.).

It would be quite entertaining to talk to some government acquisition officer about taking back my truck. There are storage buildings and garages packed to the rafters with kits, accessories and spares. My "short" list of stuff is 5 pages long in 11 point font.

My wife would probably be dancing in the street and fixing him tasty meals, however...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a fact, the government has requested stuff back before, mainly due to a demil code change or something they weren't supposed to sell in the first place. Of the instances I know of, the people complied, so I don't know what would happen if you refused. I think they even requested some deuces back (or at least the gauge panels) during the big radioactive gauge scare.

If you read the fine print of the EUC, the government does have to right to take your EUC item back if they so choose. The chances of that happening are very small though, especially if you are buying run-of-the-mill surplus. If you see a rare item come up that is normally not allowed to be sold, it would be wise to proceed with caution, but it would more than likely be caught before you took possession of it.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish this thread would lose its legs.

We're in a country where they took the rings off of Red Fox's fingers and jailed Wesley snipes for taxes. Martha Stewart went to jail. That Real Housewive's husband was deported to Italy. OF COURSE Uncle Sam can take them back, but it is exceedingly rare and very unlikely, so why does this keep coming up?

Unless you bought a missile guidance system or an EMP generator, why are you so worried? If there is a 50 cal attached to your purchase, you might have an issue. Tow missiles in your rear compartment, you might get stopped as you try to accept your vehicle. Geiger counter gets excited near your purchase, maybe repossession is a good thing. Otherwise, there are 500K of these units floating around so I doubt there is a shortage.

The day of the HMMWV in battle is slowly grinding to a halt. Unless our government needs to satisfy a scrap metal quota, why in this great big green World would our military want to risk lawsuits and negative press by stealing our vehicles back?

I thank the initial poster for valuable information. Now however, I think this thread is done for me.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They asked for my hemtt back.
They offered just auction cost.
No shipping costs.
No paint costs
No upgrade costs.
So I told them no they couldn't have it.
End of conversation
I don't know if they didn't force it because I had no euc.
Don't even really know what a euc contains

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a fact, the government has requested stuff back before, mainly due to a demil code change or something they weren't supposed to sell in the first place. Of the instances I know of, the people complied, so I don't know what would happen if you refused. I think they even requested some deuces back (or at least the gauge panels) during the big radioactive gauge scare.

If you read the fine print of the EUC, the government does have to right to take your EUC item back if they so choose. The chances of that happening are very small though, especially if you are buying run-of-the-mill surplus. If you see a rare item come up that is normally not allowed to be sold, it would be wise to proceed with caution, but it would more than likely be caught before you took possession of it.
Please show us on the EUC where exactly it says anything of the kind. This is another red herring we keep hearing. It doesn't exist. http://www.soldtiger.com/tigergrp/tigergrp204/files/euc.pdf

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Some people get pulled over for speeding.

Some people don't get pulled over for speeding.

Some of those people get tickets.

Some of them do not.

Some of them get the ticket dropped in court.

Some of them do not.

The point? Every case is different by circumstance. Same applies here. No need to argue maybes.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drew it's not a argument it's a debate.
I think we are having a healthy debate were all friends here and you are correct no one should be angry or talk (type) with anger or disgust it's just a debate.
Gentlemen let's be gentlemen.

JEB

I would guess if there arose a question about the end user (say if you were a front for a terrorist group) they could take if If someone lied when bought.

Several years back they repossessed F-14s loaned (or some say bought) from the Navy...there was a concern parts could find their way to Iran.

The final assessment is they have more lawyers than you.

I worry more about a state license (there is no guarantee that a state couldn't retroactively make them illegal like Texas recently did with kit cars and dune buggies) issue than the Feds taking it.

AMC

I encourage you all to read the CV4 contract ( DLA Rolling Stock Contract). It has multiple sections on returns of property because the DoD needs it or because of DEMIL Change. Just google CV4R DLA.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I encourage you all to read the CV4 contract ( DLA Rolling Stock Contract). It has multiple sections on returns of property because the DoD needs it or because of DEMIL Change. Just google CV4R DLA.
Exactly where please..... I see nothing of the kind.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would guess if there arose a question about the end user (say if you were a front for a terrorist group) they could take if If someone lied when bought.

Several years back they repossessed F-14s loaned (or some say bought) from the Navy...there was a concern parts could find their way to Iran.

The final assessment is they have more lawyers than you.

I worry more about a state license (there is no guarantee that a state couldn't retroactively make them illegal like Texas recently did with kit cars and dune buggies) issue than the Feds taking it.
We're not talking about illegally lying or transferring property.....WTF is with guys trying to obfuscate the fact they cannot steal you property from you?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish this thread would lose its legs.

We're in a country where they took the rings off of Red Fox's fingers and jailed Wesley snipes for taxes. Martha Stewart went to jail. That Real Housewive's husband was deported to Italy. OF COURSE Uncle Sam can take them back, but it is exceedingly rare and very unlikely, so why does this keep coming up?

Unless you bought a missile guidance system or an EMP generator, why are you so worried? If there is a 50 cal attached to your purchase, you might have an issue. Tow missiles in your rear compartment, you might get stopped as you try to accept your vehicle. Geiger counter gets excited near your purchase, maybe repossession is a good thing. Otherwise, there are 500K of these units floating around so I doubt there is a shortage.

The day of the HMMWV in battle is slowly grinding to a halt. Unless our government needs to satisfy a scrap metal quota, why in this great big green World would our military want to risk lawsuits and negative press by stealing our vehicles back?

I thank the initial poster for valuable information. Now however, I think this thread is done for me.
Show us one example of a vehicle being asked back and the owner saying no and it being confiscated. You can't can you?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still waiting for one single person to show me on the EUC form that the gov't has the right to take your legally possessed vehicle........Saw several posts, but not one example when I post the EUC, where exactly this is.

shawnshumvee

Still waiting for one single person to show me on the EUC form that the gov't has the right to take your legally possessed vehicle........Saw several posts, but not one example when I post the EUC, where exactly this is.
I'm with you Brother. Let's just say if they government even tried my Humvee will be gone! Nowhere to be found, if you know what i mean? heck, before i let the government ever have it will be parted out and sold to several people across this great land. Its the principle thing with me. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks