• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some Rapco spray paint pointers

comma

Hey guys,
I know this has been brought up here, and I've read all the threads I could find, but they are years old so I just wanted to quickly get your guys' thoughts.

I have tried 12 cans of rapco WWII OD green. All of them have dribbled paint all over the place and sprayed in a terrible, non consistent pattern.

I sprayed in normal heat/humidity conditions and shook them up for at least 5 minutes vigorously.
Reading the threads, it seems like maybe I didn't shake enough.

I love the color, and the look when it sprays and dries correctly, but the quality control just seems so all over the place. I get that the paint is thick, but when I have asked Rapco or other sellers of it (ebay) they just say to turn it upside down and spray til clear (which clogging is not the main issue, dripping paint all over my projects is) and to otherwise use it as any other can of spray paint. I have probably used hundreds of cans of rustoleum and never had a single issue.

I am going to try heating and shaking for like 15 minutes next time (not sure how to do that without a shaker, which I don't have, since after about 5 minutes my arm feels like it's going to fall off)

I have no way of using a spray gun, so buying the gallons is not an option.
Looking to possible paint some wheels for my SUV.

Really want to figure out a way to make this paint work!

Thanks

m38inmaine

I have had the same issues, one key thing is to shake, shake, shake until you can shake no more, I have cursed many of those cans. I did find recently that the paint sold by Ron Fitspatrick/G503.com is a much better spray can and the paint is great, it has a spray nozzle like the Rustoleum cans and has been 100% reliable.

twisted60

I just used a Rapco rattle can I bought from Quarter ton military and it matched color very good. No spray issues, shook for just over 1 min and shook intermittently while spraying. Both the 383 green and 383 brown worked great. Also both Rapco cans I opened came with 2 spray nozzles. I was very happy with outcome.

IMG_3894.jpgIMG_3902.jpgIMG_3888.jpgIMG_3896.jpgIMG_3904.jpg

Little body work on my 5 ton, my first time trying to fix rust holes. It's a good 10' job, closer and you see where I didn't get it smooth enough. But I'm happy for a first try.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With cooler weather now it’s even worse. I have ok luck with sitting the cans is the sun for a while and letting it heat up that way . Also if planning to paint you can throw a few cans in a box in the bed of a truck or the trunk of of your car while driving during the week. Shakes it up pretty good.

I will say I have pretty much stopped using the rapco and replaced it with the behr paint and handheld airless electric sprayer.

Bill W

Pull the spray tip off the can and take a razor blade and cut the slit ( thats already there ) in the stem a little wider ( not longer ) this will allow paint to flow out better.

Attachments

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had good luck with Rapco spray paint. I've painted an entire M105A2 with the paint. I did not have any of these problems, other than the spray tip clogging on occasion. The paint held up well. I had that trailer for probably seven years or more and the paint looked good. I use it for touch up on my trucks all the time...good results.

jasonjc

I don't have one nor have I used one , but I've seen a paint can hold that goes in/on a sawzall/reciprocating. To shake up the can , looks like it would work good.

gunsgreg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Besides shaking until you can’t take it any more (like I’m 15 again), I make sure mine sit in hot sun or near heater duct a good while... I’ve had good luck with the Rapco rattle cans.

SturmTyger380

Yep, gunsgreg has it, in the winter if I want to paint I take the cans to the house and set them on a heat register for a few days. Another thing I do is when I am done I clean the spray nozzle with acetone and blow compressed air through it. I also put a little acetone down the hole where the nozzle goes and blow it out with air. Not sure if that helps or not but makes me feel better.

comma

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Jealous of those who have had good luck with it. It has been a bit of a nightmare for me. And it seems these cans have had the same issues for a long time.
I will try these suggestions.

I've heard good things about the Ron Fitzpatrick paint, so that's an option I might try too.

Thanks again

sf1954

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had good luck with Rapco paint also. I typically turn the can upside down for about 2 hours before I start to shake it. Seems to help.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One issue you might be having with the spray can is over shaking. Sounds strange, but it's true. Some of the cheaper made rattle cans use a GLASS marble instead of metal ball bearing. Over shaking can cause the glass marble to chip and cause glass flakes to clog the nozzle. I found this out from a bargain bin special camo paint spray cans (one busted open, and made a HUGE mess). I never opened a Rapco can, so I can't say this is the case for the Rapco cans. Now I too prefer the Rapco paint, but I also agree the nozzle can be improved. I never shake my for more than two minutes. And after countless cans that have clogged up on me, I've ditched their nozzle and just reuse older rustoleum ones until they clog up.

texwelder

I have found that if a can starts to have issues, I will take the second spray tip that comes with each can and remove the small nozzle in the center. I then place this altered
spray tip in the can and holding the can upside down, spray until the sound changes or it stops spraying color and is just spraying the propellant. I then take a new spray tip
and go back to painting. I have learned that the Rapco paint is very dense compared to other brands like krylon or Rustoleum, which seems to be the root cause of the tips
getting clogged up. I save the clogged tips and place them into a prescription bottle filled with acetone and blow them out with air from the compressor....tips are like new.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks