Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Some Rapco spray paint pointers

Thanks

Yep, gunsgreg has it, in the winter if I want to paint I take the cans to the house and set them on a heat register for a few days. Another thing I do is when I am done I clean the spray nozzle with acetone and blow compressed air through it. I also put a little acetone down the hole where the nozzle goes and blow it out with air. Not sure if that helps or not but makes me feel better.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SturmTyger380 For This Useful Post:

jeffhuey1n (08-07-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
    Jealous of those who have had good luck with it. It has been a bit of a nightmare for me. And it seems these cans have had the same issues for a long time.
    I will try these suggestions.

I've heard good things about the Ron Fitzpatrick paint, so that's an option I might try too.

Thanks again

Private
    Thanks

I have had good luck with Rapco paint also. I typically turn the can upside down for about 2 hours before I start to shake it. Seems to help.

Thanks

One issue you might be having with the spray can is over shaking. Sounds strange, but it's true. Some of the cheaper made rattle cans use a GLASS marble instead of metal ball bearing. Over shaking can cause the glass marble to chip and cause glass flakes to clog the nozzle. I found this out from a bargain bin special camo paint spray cans (one busted open, and made a HUGE mess). I never opened a Rapco can, so I can't say this is the case for the Rapco cans. Now I too prefer the Rapco paint, but I also agree the nozzle can be improved. I never shake my for more than two minutes. And after countless cans that have clogged up on me, I've ditched their nozzle and just reuse older rustoleum ones until they clog up.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brutacus For This Useful Post:

BKubu (05-26-2019), frank8003 (05-26-2019)

Private
    Thanks

I have found that if a can starts to have issues, I will take the second spray tip that comes with each can and remove the small nozzle in the center. I then place this altered
    spray tip in the can and holding the can upside down, spray until the sound changes or it stops spraying color and is just spraying the propellant. I then take a new spray tip
    and go back to painting. I have learned that the Rapco paint is very dense compared to other brands like krylon or Rustoleum, which seems to be the root cause of the tips
    getting clogged up. I save the clogged tips and place them into a prescription bottle filled with acetone and blow them out with air from the compressor....tips are like new.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to texwelder For This Useful Post:

silverstate55 (08-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,058 Posts

Brent Mullins Jeep parts sells a great spray paint.
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

1942 GPW
    1942 Ben Hur Trailer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2