• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Throttle is stuck

TheAlfredo

So I recently purchased a genset in which the throttle is stuck. I’ve tapped it with a hammer after letting it sit with some WD40. I can tap it back and forth, but can’t move it by hand and clearly not with the frequency knob.
Any suggestions? Replacement?

TheAlfredo

the frequency knob pulls and pushes a cable that is attached on the other end to the throttle. It is the throttle that is stuck, not the knob. The only way I can adjust the frequency is to tap it with a hammer.

jamawieb

I'm know you know this but I'm going to say it anyway. The frequency (throttle) knob is locked into place with the push button and also with the lock mounted behind the knob. Can you turn the knob that is mounted behind the push button, that is mounted to the wall of the generator (if that makes sense).

TheAlfredo

the issue isn't with the knob or the cable. The issue is with the "throttle"...don't know what the word is...its not a carb. but what actually controls the throttle is what is stuck.
56211252402__1943CDD0-954E-4B07-891E-F1E7D01BA293.JPG

NormB

Judging from the corrosion around it, it’s not likely to be the ONLY thing stuck, frozen, damaged.

Get your favorite brand of penetrating oil (Penetro 90, Kroil, ATF/acetone, whatever) and go to town.

Consider investing in stainless steel fittings for the rest of the genset.

Keep us posted.

Norm

jamawieb

Ahh unfortunately you'll need to take the front cover off to gain access to the fuel rack and governor adjustment. Sounds like rust has seized up the springs and fuel rack.

Guyfang

Staff member
Stop tapping it. If you have to force it, it needs fixing. Look at the parts TM. Get an idea of how it looks inside. Get into the -24 TM, and read about how it works. There is an extra document in the TM forum, in the file for the MEP-803A, with instructions on how to adjust the fuel rack. That way, when you put it together again, you will have it right.

TheAlfredo

hoping another few days of sitting with penetrating oil does the trick and running it up to working temp and let it cool again. I'll keep you all posted

jamawieb

Not shown in the picture you have but the plug I'm referring to is on the front cover. It will be a star shaped plug behind the radiator hose. The 802a has a plug that a 3/8 square socket will fit. It will be approximately in line with the fuel cut off solenoid at the front of the motor. Just for reference, you have to take it out and place a 5mm allen wrench into so you can adjust the droop of the governor.

Guyfang

Staff member
But do NOT adjust the droop. Try not to change any adjustments. Remember, first make the thing work. It should move freely. There is a spring in there. When you pull back on the arm, it should snap back.

jamawieb

But do NOT adjust the droop. Try not to change any adjustments. Remember, first make the thing work. It should move freely. There is a spring in there. When you pull back on the arm, it should snap back.
Good point Guy, yes don't adjust anything until you have it up and running correctly. That was for reference only because I see on other post you have a couple 803a units.

Bmxenbrett

That is a **** of alot of corrosion. Hoefully its just the vertical rod that connects the linkage to the rack.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks