• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire wear question

jpfever

Have any of you experience more tire wear on the left side rear than the right side rear? If so, were you able to resolve it?

I have found on my M998 that it loves eating left rear tires faster than any of the other 3 corners. I am running the standard 37x12.5x16.5 surplus tires, the run flat have been removed but an inner bead lock is there (more for balancing). I am aware of the DOT dates.

ikoinu

Have your toe checked. The toe will eat up the tire faster then the camber, according to the guy who does my alignment (30 year marine, captain of the motor pool).

I just pulled the rear shims on mine, left the single main shim in on all 4 contact points of the top rear a-arm(the one with holes, due to the difficulty of getting those out) . Slight positive caster. I was assured that it won't make much difference because at speed the camber goes toward zero and I am on the highway a lot.

jpfever

Thanks for the link, I' check it out tonight when I get home. I don't believe I have an alignment issue, could be wrong. I just find it weird that both rear tires don't wear down at the same rate. I will take the it into an alignment shop and see what they say.

ikoinu

Yeah, I did the same. 92-95 H1.

Civilian Hummer is: .8 - > 1.3
HMMWV is: + 1.5°
(according to the information available)

In the end, it all equals out to contact patch and treadwear, which is directly related.

Did mine because I have new tires. I will look at them after 5 thousand or so miles and take it in if the treadwear is too uneven.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems to me that these vehicles were shimmed when they were heavy with military equipment. Now they are demilitarized so they sit higher and the wheels need to be re-shimmed.

Mine has the same issue with the ass end wheels.

Seems understandable and easy to fix.

MHO

T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks