• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 HMMWV Frozen Tailgate Hinges

kc5mzd

I think iI am going to go out and open and close my tailgate several times just to make sure it doesnt freeze up !!!

knighthawk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't you hate it when someone leaves you hanging and doesn't tell you the end of the story ?

Well after trying every thing else a second and third time ( heat , solvents, hammer and punch etc. ) I decided to give give Tobash's acid method a try. I removed the tailgate from the Hmmwv . Since the hinge is riveted to the tailgate I soaked each hinge individually in diluted muriatic acid. After soaking the hinge I rinsed off with water and placed it in a heavy duty vise and wiggled it until I got movement. I the soaked it in acid again for a couple of minutes , rinsed it and did the other one the same way. I then bolted back on the trick and soaked it with PB Blaster and moved it up and down until I had full movement. I wasn't counting but it mu

knighthawk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
must have been 100 times. I am not satisfied with how smooth it is yet, so I will continue to spray it with PB Blaster and move it every couple of days,

Tobash, Thanks for the good advise .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks