• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Worthwhile to rebuild starter?

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a MEP-005A generator that I just took the starter out of because it wouldn't engage and replaced it with a functioning one. Is it worthwhile to have the old one rebuilt? Does it crossfit with anything else? I had a quote of around $150 to rebuild it and I just bought a NOS one for $110 shipped.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Rebuild kits, parts are out there. I am sure that parts cross reference with other units. Do some screen work and cross reference. If you can rebuild yourself you can save labor cost. Is it worth having a spare? Sure, and even if you do not yourself use the unit you can always sell and recoup some of or all the cash.

So to answer your Question, a little effort saved 40 bucks. Next time have the rebuild parts on hand.

Guyfang

Staff member
This starter fits a number of things, not just the 004 & 005 gen sets. Right off hand I seem to remember at least 3 types of R/T forklifts, several compressors and a trailer mounted lube unit. The starter is one of the parts I would have on hand, if I owned that gen set. Rebuild it.

Bmxenbrett

$150 to rebuild vs $110 for a new one? Not worth rebuilding. But i wouldnt throw away the old one.

What actualy happen to the old one? Just brushes?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The $150 figure I can assume is for someone else to do the work?

It shouldn't cost anywhere near that to replace brushes and a bendix yourself.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, lets try again!

I TOTALLY relate to that! :)

I do recommend having some spare wear parts on hand so you can get something going in a pinch. A set of brushes and a bendix would be at the top of that list. Obviously having a complete starter on hand is best if you have the space and resources to keep it.

csheath

I barely had the time to put in a new starter, I don't have the time to do it myself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
:idea:If you are concerned about having a spare and your source has another NOS starter you should buy and shelf it.:idea:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks