• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone come across a good equivalent coolant temp gauge for the MEPs?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a Stewart Warner was crossed for the fuel gauge (as well as a VDO)... but has anyone had luck finding a coolant temp? I understand I can swap the sender out and use a different gauge, but theres got to be something​ out there that will work that isnt over $100!

jamawieb

Yes, search ebay for 100-240 temperatur gauge. Isspro and VDO have 2 models that I've used. I used both with good results. Usually marine gauges work perfect.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if this topic should be added as part of Daybreaks list of parts and acessories. Surely bad gauges are a pretty common thing... I will do that though. If you stumble upon any actual manufacturer part numbers on what you have bought in the past, please share. Thanks Jimmy

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I am hoping to get a few ideas on gauges to reuse the factory sender. Thanks though

jamawieb

VDO A2C60000963

Marpac 7-2037
isspro r8750

These are the ones that I have purchased. I think 2 of them say 12v but it only deals with the bulb for illumination.
They all use the stock sender and the Dayton gauge Csheath recommended should use the stock sender.

Last edited:

csheath

You could always contact the different gauge MFGs and ask at what resistance their gauge should read 180 degrees.

Best I can figure the installed sensor should be around 65 ohms at 180 degrees.

coolant-gauge-test.jpg

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up one of the Marpac units on the bit auction site for under $30 shipped. We'll give it a whirl. Thanks again

Ray70

I've used a couple Beede 947886 temp gages purchased new on the big E- auction site for $24 and free shipping.
The gage goes up to 250 instead of 240 but they work good none the less and the face looks like the gages used on Fermont and reset Libby machines.
I've also used the 80 psi. Beede 12803 oil pressure gages available as cheap as $16. They say "12V adaptable to 24v" in some descriptions but I didn't have to change anything to have it work correctly right out of the box.

jamawieb

I've used a couple Beede 947886 temp gages purchased new on the big E- auction site for $24 and free shipping.
The gage goes up to 250 instead of 240 but they work good none the less and the face looks like the gages used on Fermont and reset Libby machines.
I've also used the 80 psi. Beede 12803 oil pressure gages available as cheap as $16. They say "12V adaptable to 24v" in some descriptions but I didn't have to change anything to have it work correctly right out of the box.
Yes, I've used those temperature gauges too, they just read off by 10degrees. I also second the oil pressure gauge.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its currently sitting on a shelf in my garage to be installed. Maybe I'll get a few minutes today to do the change.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be returning the Marpac unit. The terminals at the back dont work with the stock gauge bracket.

jamawieb

I will be returning the Marpac unit. The terminals at the back dont work with the stock gauge bracket.
I'm so sorry Light in the Dark, when you asked about the gauges I didn't think about having to add a different connectors. The Isspro doesn't need different connectors and the Beede or Faria marine gauges don't need different connectors, but they read 100-250F so it's 10 degrees off.
FARIA GP0633A
FARIA 12812
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
Beede 947886

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The terminal sizes are correct and present, but they are not aligned in a way which would work with the aluminum bridges the standard gauging uses. Just going to cost me some freight, but a good learning experience for the thread. Here is what the back of the gauge looks like, for those interested:

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to go with a Beede 947886 from the big auction site. The rear posts look more appropriate for this application (and it ships with a bridge, should the stock unit not work... wasn't true of the Marpac). $32.77 out the door.

Attachments

jamawieb

It should have come with its own bridge, I can't remember specifically but I think this one had a plastic bridge. All the part numbers I referenced, I actually pulled from my ebay purchased activity so i know they were used on different units I rebuilt.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine didnt have a bridge, so maybe thats part of it... either way its going back. Beede is on order.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks