• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 6.2 Water pump/fan clutch help please

McSpeed

Hey guys - first post. I'm not understanding the instructions for how to get the fan clutch off a 1988 6.2 M998.

I pulled the cooling module as it needs cleaning, detail, etc. The water pump is shot.

I got the hydraulic link off (1/2 nut in the center).

I can't get the pulley to line up with the clutch bolts through the holes.

I need to get the clutch to disengage but don't understand how to do that,

What am I missing?

dilvoy

You can loosen the small bolts at the rear side of the hydraulic clutch a few turns then rap the assy with a plastic hammer to shock it a bit and then you should be able to hold the pulley and rotate the clutch as needed.

McSpeed

Awesome! I just went out there after reading this and saw the small bolts. I'm going to give that a shot in the morning.

Can I get a rebuild/seal kit for that unit somewhere as well?

I'm also thinking replacing the fan now might be a good idea. I've read stories of them breaking. Looks like a miserable job if all you were doing was the fan.

McSpeed

Got the bolt trick to work.

I also spent hours and hours pressure washing and cleaning the radiators as the were caked in mud. What a mess!!!!

Now that she is clean and drying I’m takinf a break. New pump will be here next week.

Still need to find a seal kit for that fan clutch. I’m afraid I buggered it up. Probably why the air trick wasn’t working.

NormB

Awesome! I just went out there after reading this and saw the small bolts. I'm going to give that a shot in the morning.
Can I get a rebuild/seal kit for that unit somewhere as well?
I'm also thinking replacing the fan now might be a good idea. I've read stories of them breaking. Looks like a miserable job if all you were doing was the fan.

Used to be kits available, there’s an NSN for them, no one seems to have them in stock.

I tried locating all the seals/bearings going by the parts list, found one part one place, two at another, bearings somewhere else, S&H plus parts and no o-rings was just too dauntingn a task, so I have a pretty large paperweight on hand, if I ever decide to give parts shopping a go again. Would be nice to rebuild one, just for fun, and a spare.

Norm

Action

Got the bolt trick to work.

I also spent hours and hours pressure washing and cleaning the radiators as the were caked in mud. What a mess!!!!

Now that she is clean and drying I’m takinf a break. New pump will be here next week.

Still need to find a seal kit for that fan clutch. I’m afraid I buggered it up. Probably why the air trick wasn’t working.
you may need a fin comb now after pressure washing the cooling stack.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks