• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator/Vreg/Gauge charging question.

lino

Hey All,

I have a '95 1078 that is showing some odd symptoms...

To start with, I don't use it much (right now), about 10-15 min every couple weeks. I don't have much time to work/play with it, so I keep usage minimal until I understand all its quirks.

So, starting a month or so ago, I noticed the voltage gauge was holding at 24v... This was after I tilted the cab for the first time (which may have been the first time in years). A little digging suggested I may have shorted a ref line to the regulator when tilting. I drove it little, and charged batts externally thru NATO port just in case.

Then a couple weeks ago (after a second cab tilt), I noticed the volt gauge reading 32v, or pegged on gauge. That's even less ideal, but the batteries can handle that for a short time (minutes), so I finished up and parked.
Yesterday, I had a few minuted to check things out so I started by running truck, which started happily enough, and the gauge pegged, right above 32v. So I got out, left it running, and put a voltmeter right on the NATO port.

It read 28.6v.

That's right where I want it.

So, my question is, is there any other voltage regulation devices on the NATO output, or should voltage gauge and NATO port read the same?
That is, it appears I have a bad volt gauge.

Anyone else have a volt gauge fail?

Thanks

ciao
lino

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a hard fail. Maybe double check the connections to the instrument and the case ground if it has one (can't recall) prior to replacing it. I agree it is very nerve wrecking to see it pegged while driving.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The voltage at the nato port is the battery voltage. Its a direct connection. If you measure voltage in the cab it should be about 1/3 of a volt less because cab power goes thru a polarity protection box which is really just some big diodes.

lino

... tap it harder.
I thought about tapping it harder, but I didn't have a hammer within reach, so I tried Ronmar's method. At the test points I got 27.7V and at the NATO port I got 28.8 Seems like all is in order (except gauge). After about a 20 min warmup, the gauge was reading correctly.

Thanks all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks