• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939/LMTV/FMTV Air dryer replacements/upgrades

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Alright folk as we know of the air dryers a lot of these trucks have is the Pure Air types from years past and the overall surplus market came out with the Purest Air Dryers and alot of us upgraded to that which is an overall good dryer I noticed. It is around the same size as the original Air Plus dryer and is nearly a direct replacement of the stock 939 series dryer. You do have to drill new bolt holes in the mounting plate on the cross member though for the new 3 bolt triangle pattern

You can go back with the replacement Haldex Air Plus Dryer Part # DA33110X and can be found on ebay or thru a Haldex retailer.

The Purest Air Dryer is part # N50011K or DA34110 - They are still on the market mostly in a 12v heater version but the heater from your Air Plug dryer on the original truck will just transfer over. These are getting harder to come by and like anything else low supply means a high price. Repair kits and filters are available commonly for these. The new filter is around $100.

You can upgrade to a Wabco 1200 series saver unit like i did in the past. This is a smaller unit. About 1/3 the size of the Pure Air and the Purest Dryers. It however has SAE port sizes do you would need adapters to run your air fittings from your air dryer that is currently on the truck. They also do not come with a heater alot of times for the purge valve so you would have to add that. These units DO have a air governor on them and has a blocked off Purge Valve Signal port. You would have to drill the block out of the dryer and tap the port for a pipe thread to go in it. Kind of a drawback but it is a alternative. They are cheap in the $50 to $100 range. They are small and light so if you have added accessories under your truck they can fit anywhere really. They are also really light. Replacement filters for these can be had for around $12 to $50 depending on where you need to buy one. You can find my modification thread here : https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...abco-Series-1200-Air-Dryer-Install&highlight=

There are a few other upgrades/replacements i have stumbled across. The most direct swap I do believe for the best cost is going to be the SKF BrakeMaster Turbo 2000. I have purchased a couple of these units and will include a write up on an install when I get it done. These units are nice, compact, fairly light and have a long service interval. They have a 12 or 24v option heater that comes with a wire harness plugin and Packard connectors. So you would have to splice your power wire on the frame rail and add a ground. These units do have their own mounting bracket so bolting to the existing plate or cross-member should be fairly easy. These dryers have a purge line adapter already set up on them and have normal pipe thread ports. They can also handle a higher duty cycle compressor for a truck that may be working harder. They list a truck with CTIS should use the Dual turbo system but it is fairly costly. Their total repair and rebuild kit for it is around $350. with a used dryer system costing around $150. New single style Turbo 200 Dryers are in the $100 to $200 range. Replacement cartridges for the single Turbo 2000 dryer is around $40. These units are found on ebay or thru TruckPro I added the pics of the SKF unit and their product brochure is here : http://www.skf.com/binary/79-147914/457969.pdf

I will be posting up a few other alternatives that are common and on the market for reasonable prices. You have to understand that the older AD9 and Pure Air systems are mostly just old stocks and are rather costly. So going over to commercial truck parts may be expensive for the new part. However finding some items with the 24v heaters will not be easy in the commercial world.

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Added one SKF Brakemaster Turbo 2000 as my transmission air dryer. I do like these. Not too heavy. They have a double mount system. same bolt pattern as the Purest Air dryers that have the triangle setup or the older 4 bolts that the original 939 air dryer bracket had.

24volt heater with the packard connectors. Simple install. Used the same 1/2" ports the other dryers use for Inlet and Outlet. Has a unloader signal line and the purge tank line if you decided to add one. Not a bad deal for the $185 with free shipping.

Picture reference of the Purest type that was sitting in the same area.

Attachments

TEAMJENSEN

Added one SKF Brakemaster Turbo 2000 as my transmission air dryer. I do like these. Not too heavy. They have a double mount system. same bolt pattern as the Purest Air dryers that have the triangle setup or the older 4 bolts that the original 939 air dryer bracket had.

24volt heater with the packard connectors. Simple install. Used the same 1/2" ports the other dryers use for Inlet and Outlet. Has a unloader signal line and the purge tank line if you decided to add one. Not a bad deal for the $185 with free shipping.

Picture reference of the Purest type that was sitting in the same area.
Simp5782 thank you for the details for the air dryer. Did it come with good instructions? How do you like it so far? In replacing my original air dryer on my m923a2 any special instructions or advice?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It is straight forward. All your existing fittings will interchange with the skf air dryer. Just make sure the skf dryer has a yellow tag on the front. It means ss compressor compatible. The red tag means non holset ir ss compressor compatible

It works well. Loud blow off though. It will scare people

TEAMJENSEN

It is straight forward. All your existing fittings will interchange with the skf air dryer. Just make sure the skf dryer has a yellow tag on the front. It means ss compressor compatible. The red tag means non holset ir ss compressor compatible

Thanks. Where did you find yours?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ebay. Search "skf brakemaster" it will pop up with a 24v unit. The seller is in oregon

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks! Any ground required with the installation

Your ground for the heater is there on the frame rail you will have to cut and splice the new pigtail in for the dryer side. Its simple

TEAMJENSEN

Simp5782 would you have any pics of the air lines going in and out of the skf? The purge tank port line has me confused

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The ports labeled unload and purge are confusing to me.

Unloader is for the little line that was on your old dryer. That goes up to the governor. The purge port you want to put a pipe plug in. That is for a purge tank which you dont have

TEAMJENSEN

Unloader is for the little line that was on your old dryer. That goes up to the governor. The purge port you want to put a pipe plug in. That is for a purge tank which you dont have
Simp5782 thank you so much for your help. You always seem to have the answer. Was not sure what to do with the purge port. Thanks!

TEAMJENSEN

Installing the air dryer and the wiring harness has 2 labeled pig tails. One is j1 and the other is p1. Am I correct to assume that the p1 is power and j1 is ground. Thank you again for your help!

Smokinyoda

Good info here, thanks Wes.

My PURest just took a dump, so looking at replacing since I can’t find a reasonable priced rebuild kit.
Have you ever tried the AD-9 dryer? That’s what several owner/operators I talked to recommended I try. Wondering how it would compare to the Brakemaster.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Good info here, thanks Wes.

My PURest just took a dump, so looking at replacing since I can’t find a reasonable priced rebuild kit.
Have you ever tried the AD-9 dryer? That’s what several owner/operators I talked to recommended I try. Wondering how it would compare to the Brakemaster.
The Ad9 is what came on the A3 deuces so it should be fine. They are common on Amazon and Ebay. Parts are available since it is used on most fleet trucks. It's about price. I went with the turbo 2000 based on price and the internal 24v heater

Smokinyoda

The Ad9 is what came on the A3 deuces so it should be fine. They are common on Amazon and Ebay. Parts are available since it is used on most fleet trucks. It's about price. I went with the turbo 2000 based on price and the internal 24v heater
I agree about price being important, but the 24v AD-9 is about $150, versus $185 for the turbo 2000. Unless you found them cheaper somewhere else, if so pm me the link.

snowtrac nome

a 24 volt purge heater can be aquired pretty reasonably for the ad-9 I have one for my lmtv but haven't got around to replacing it yet the decedent cartages are pretty spendy, but it is still the go to air dryer up here in the north for tractor trailer rigs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks